[comp.sys.laptops] Market Study for laptops and your input?

wcs) (02/06/90)

In article <1777@apt.UUCP> brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
]My company is about to commence a market study of laptop computers
]for one of our clients.
]Do the readers of this group wish to have an opportunity to offer
]their opinions on laptops, their designs, and the features they'd
]like to see in future laptop designs?
]Or is it improper to use this forum for such a purpose?

Advertising belongs in biz.hardware.*, but an occasional request for
information or an occasional "we're thinking of doing a laptop like
this - what else should we add?" seem ok to me.  comp.newprod will
basically take one product announcement per product.

If you're going to do the survey here, you should be willing to post
the results; your client may not be thrilled about that.

Now, as to what I'd like to see in a laptop:

small, light, cheap, powerful all at once (of course!)

MODULARITY!!
	In particular, design should be modular, with reasonably
	priced modules - the Tandy and Toshiba-1200 strategy of a
	floppy-only model and a $1000-extra hard disk model
	strikes me as gouging.  Unless you're going to compete in
	the ultra-light market, you probably should be offering a
	model with some hard disk, with a range of sizes available.

	The interfaces should be standard!!  I don't want to be
	limited to a FOONLY-37 modem and FOONLY-38-40 disks -
	I want standard (small) slots so I can plug in whatever
	industry-standard peripherals are available.  I don't want
	to wait around for your manufacturer to develop an Ethernet
	card or 9600-baud modem or ISDN-card or XXX graphics adapter,
	and gouge me $500 extra for using your special card size.

	I'd really appreciate if the disk-drive port on the back spoke
	either SCSI or at least ST-506; I'm tired of having to buy
	custom drives like my Toshiba requires.

You don't think I plan to only run DOS on it, do you?  Thank you.
	Maybe I'll run UNIX, maybe some bean counter will want OS/2,
	maybe GNU-Mach-386 or Dynabeast will come out.  Don't lock me in.
	In particular, DON'T do anything that limits me to 640K.

Make sure the memory is user-replaceable.  I realize this is tougher
	with laptops, but it's important.  If you won't put sockets
	on the motherboard because chips shake around, give me some
	kind of expansion board for memory.  And don't charge me
	$1000/megabyte for the stuff when SIMMs cost $125/MB.

Screen - who know what screen technology is doing these days.
	MAKE SURE IT CAN DO 25x80 CHARACTERS, and follow some
	standard for graphics so I can use whatever it is.
	I'd guess that VGA is the minimum acceptable resolution for
	anything weighing more than 5 pounds.

Gee-Whiz Stuff - the new GRiDPaD looks cute.  Maybe touchscreens are
	the way to go.  One of those little capacitance-pads is a
	partial substitute for mice, sometimes, or maybe a trackball.
	Don't limit me to the equivalent of a 1-or-2-button mouse.
	Sun's NeWS or other display form of Postscript would be fun.

Users will always use your machine for things you never dreamed of.
	Expect it, and leave them room to do it.
	If you give them a user-friendly interface, make sure they
	can shut it off!  They may want to use their own.
	As Hugh says, maybe I'll use this to build my next DynaBook with,
	so don't wire in 640K of stuff I don't want.
	Or maybe the user will want something like a GrIdPaD with a
	bar-code gun and a touchscreen for factory applications.

Have you checked in an Avis car at LAX airport recently?
Their little hand-held beast also has a radio connection to
the main computer, so they blip the bar code and your bill
prints out right then and there.  People will build stuff like this!

--
# Bill Stewart AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs

# ho95c has gone the way of all VAX/785s, so I'm now on erebus.att.com

job@sequoia.UUCP (Mark Job) (02/09/90)

In article <7924@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> wcs@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>In article <1777@apt.UUCP> brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
>]My company is about to commence a market study of laptop computers
>]for one of our clients.
>]Do the readers of this group wish to have an opportunity to offer
>]their opinions on laptops, their designs, and the features they'd
>]like to see in future laptop designs?
>]Or is it improper to use this forum for such a purpose?

Seems OK, especially if you publish a summary.  Hope your client approves this.

>Now, as to what I'd like to see in a laptop:
>
>small, light, cheap, powerful all at once (of course!)
My summary wishes: minimum of 386SX processor (387/Weitek socket)
		   2M memory expandable to 12+M w/SIMMS (at non-ripoff price)
		   color display (a la NEC Prospeed CSX) only if cost-effective
		    else page-white VGA display
		    SIMULTANEOUS display on laptop screen and out VGA port
		    2 serial ports (one modem, one other) and 1 parallel
		    Laplink3 in ROM
		    FAST 40M (or larger) hard disk
		    under 12 pounds
		    battery powered, minimum 3 hour life
		    batteries that can be changed on the fly (w/o power down)
		    whatever shielding is necessary to get FAA approval for
	    in-flight use, and make it OK to pass thru airport security check
	    8 or 16-bit ISA slot(s) would be nice
	    universal auto-sensing 100-240V 50/60 cycle power supply in charger
Oh, yes, the price should be under $3750...

>MODULARITY!!
>	In particular, design should be modular, with reasonably
>	priced modules - the Tandy and Toshiba-1200 strategy of a
>	floppy-only model and a $1000-extra hard disk model
>	strikes me as gouging.  Unless you're going to compete in
   [Bill goes on to make several good points, all of which I second, except
    for the GrIdPaD - no smudgescreens for me please]
Another thing: don't waste any time designing yet another outrageously priced
proprietary modem card.  Touchbase and others have that licked with their 9Volt
battery powered family of modems.  I got a WorldPort 2496 which does 2400 baud
comms, 9600 baud GrpIII Fax for under $500.  Ditto for Ethernet - I haven't
tried Xircom's pocket Ethernet adapter, but the reviews look good.  External is
the way to go for comms adapters, so you don't pay again for the proprietary
card each time you change to another vendor.  Give me 2 serial ports instead!

Lastly, a laptop this powerful can best most desktops.  Put on an external key
board adapter socket so I can walk into my office, plug into keyboard, VGA mon,
and LAN and go...

--
--- Above is IMHO, not ESC's --*:*:*:*:*:*:*---------------------------------
UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!job    * "As far as we know, our computer has

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (02/10/90)

In article <8085@sequoia.UUCP>, job@sequoia.UUCP (Mark Job) writes:

> My summary wishes: minimum of 386SX processor (387/Weitek socket)

I've read that Intel has not licensed '386 to others, e.g. Harris,
who fabricated the 80c286, which uses less power due to CMOS technology.

I've also read that Harris is *cloning* the '386, planning to deliver
chips this year (Q4?), presumably CMOS versions, which I would imagine
will result in a new wave of powerful, lightweight, low-power laptops
some months later...

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (02/11/90)

In article <1777@apt.UUCP> brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
]My company is about to commence a market study of laptop computers
]for one of our clients.
]Do the readers of this group wish to have an opportunity to offer
]their opinions on laptops, their designs, and the features they'd
]like to see in future laptop designs?
]Or is it improper to use this forum for such a purpose?

My next laptop will have a hard disk (40 MB minimum) and high-res graphics
(at least 640 by 480).  Less than 10 pounds is a must.  I have a Z-88 that
weighs 2 pounds.  I've been spoiled by it; it's so light that I don't think
twice about taking it along.

The Compaq LTE/286 (whatever; the 6-pound one) is nice but CGA isn't
enough.  It's pricey, too, but for 6 pounds or less (preferably less)
I can live with the price (sell all my stock :-).

Oh, yeah - at least a 12 MHz 80286, though I'll tolerate more MIPS for
the same money.

Never underestimate the appeal of light weight - the stores here (Silicon
Valley) can't keep the LTE in stock.  I may have to wait a year to get a
5 or 6 pound laptop with VGA and 40 MB, but I'm sure it will happen.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com

atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) (02/14/90)

In article <15483@vlsisj.VLSI.COM> davidc@vlsisj.UUCP (David Chapman) writes:
>In article <1777@apt.UUCP> brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
>]My company is about to commence a market study of laptop computers
>]for one of our clients.
>]Do the readers of this group wish to have an opportunity to offer
>]their opinions on laptops, their designs, and the features they'd
>]like to see in future laptop designs?
>]Or is it improper to use this forum for such a purpose?

I would like to see somthing on the low end. Fairly similar to the
Toshiba 1000SE but less expensive. I guess the following would be
close:

8086 (NEC V20) at 8mhz    (minimum processing speed)
single 1.4 hard disk      (this is enough disk space for wordprocessing)
one serial one parallel port
one ttl port              (maybe herc graphics - lots cheaper and better
			   on the eyes than vga/ega monitor)
640K			   (but a resume feature so software doesn't
			    have to be reloaded)
Nice lcd screen - WITH control to turn off the backlight -
this simple option will greatly prolong battery life.
(nice means similar to Toshiba 1000se or Compaqu ltd - but not nec
 grey tones or vga graphics - again herc would be fine if it
 significantly lowers the price).

 Oh - and weight should be 6-10 lbs.

 I think this machine would be good for lawyers, non-tech college
 students and so forth. It should only cost around $600-$700. The
 640K could probably be 1meg and cost less using 1 meg chips. The
 8086/NEC v20 comes in cmos version and are fairly cheap. ttl support/
 monochrome graphics are a lot cheaper than vga. 1.4 meg hard disk
 is very important because many newer packages won't fit on .7 megs
 (wordperfect, ...)

 Anyways - I spent about 6 months looking for such a machine and
 couldn't find it. Note that the ttl port is very big plus because than
 you can hook up the machine to an external monitor for pennies...

|  Mail:    1830 22nd street      Email: atk@boulder.colorado.edu|
|           Apt 16                Vmail: Home:   (303) 939-8256  |
|           Boulder, Co 80302            Office: (303) 492-8115  |

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (02/17/90)

>In article <1777@apt.UUCP> brian@apt.UUCP (Brian Litzinger) writes:
>My company is about to commence a market study of laptop computers
>for one of our clients.
>Do the readers of this group wish to have an opportunity to offer
>their opinions on laptops, their designs, and the features they'd
>like to see in future laptop designs?
>Or is it improper to use this forum for such a purpose?

I'd like something just like my Epson Geneva CP/M machine except:

- 4MHz Z80 instead of 2.5MHz
- Uses the nifty little RAM cards like the Atari Portfolio
- Electric typewriter keyboard instead of the Geneva's manual keyboard
- Modern supertwist display (backlight would be nice, but not essential)

But then I'm wierd.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

The discussion so far seems really focused on PC-Clones. I've ordered a machine
that I expect to be delivered in about two weeks. It weighs 15 pounds, so it's
not gonna be the most comfortable on a lap, but it packs a lot of punch.
4 meg of memory, 40 meg hard drive, 640x400 LCD display with external video
connector. The machine will drive both the LCD and an external monochrome
monitor simultaneously; the LCD cuts out if you plug in a color monitor.
The keyboard is full-sized, with separate smaller pads for 10 function keys
and the cursor pad, and a small 2-button trackball. The thing has a port for
128K ROM cartridges, a bidirectional centronics-style parallel port, rs232
port, midi ports, external floppy drive port, and SCSI/DMA port. (A 720K
3-1/2" floppy drive is also present.) The standard processor is an 8 MHz
68000. (I'll be upgrading mine to 16MHz.)

The system I just described lists for $2895, an Atari STACY-4. Folks have
been going crazy for it as a portable Mac, since the Mac emulator is only
$250, but it also can run one of several PC/MSDOS emulators as well. I
intend to use this mainly as an ST, though, one that I can easily take to
my various offices without having to worry about lugging other peripherals
for. There aren't any high-speed networking interfaces onboard, but you can
get ethernet and localtalk cards that hang off the DMA port. You can also
get a PC-on-a-card that hangs off the DMA port, and get to ethernet from there.
Data transfer between ST and PC modes is painless, since the ST uses the
MSDOS filesystem structure.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan