[comp.sys.laptops] Games on supertwist display

post@hpfcso.HP.COM (Dave Post) (02/12/90)

How do games work out on a laptop with, say a supertwist display?  If I got
a Toshiba 1000SE or a Tandy 1000 or whatever, could educational games and
maybe, thinking games be played?  I'm not thinking of any 'action' games.

David Post     post@hpfcla.hp.com  hpfclabs!hpfcla!post

sas@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Scott Sutherland) (02/13/90)

In article <9640001@hpfcso.HP.COM> post@hpfcso.HP.COM (Dave Post) writes:
>How do games work out on a laptop with, say a supertwist display?  If I got
>a Toshiba 1000SE or a Tandy 1000 or whatever, could educational games and
>maybe, thinking games be played?  I'm not thinking of any 'action' games.

If my experience is any indication, you should have no trouble with any games
that use no animation.  Games with a *small* amount of animation are OK as
long as you can ignore the annoying smudge on the screen.  If you were looking
to run any real action games, there is only one option that I could whole-
heartedly suggest - by one of the new Mac Portables.  Nothing that I've
seen has a screen that comes even close to the quality and refresh-rate of
the one on the Mac.  I barely notice the difference between it and the
"real Mac" on my desk.  It has a couple of drawbacks, but IMHO the screen
is not one of them.  My only complaint with the screen is that I would
like the *option* of back-lighting it.

Just to clarify, buy a Mac Portable if you want a Mac, great games are a
nice extra, but by themselves they are certainly not worth what Apple is
charging.
---
Scott Sutherland	sas@cis.ohio-state.edu	|  The above opinions are mine,
Staff Software Developer			|           NOT OSU's
The Ohio State University, Department of Dance	|

dsf2652@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.S. Fuller) (02/21/90)

In article <77046@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Scott Sutherland <sas@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <9640001@hpfcso.HP.COM> post@hpfcso.HP.COM (Dave Post) writes:
>>How do games work out on a laptop with, say a supertwist display?  If I got
>>a Toshiba 1000SE or a Tandy 1000 or whatever, could educational games and
>>maybe, thinking games be played?  I'm not thinking of any 'action' games.
>
>If my experience is any indication, you should have no trouble with any games
>that use no animation.  Games with a *small* amount of animation are OK as
>long as you can ignore the annoying smudge on the screen.  If you were looking
>to run any real action games, there is only one option that I could whole-
>heartedly suggest - by one of the new Mac Portables.  Nothing that I've
>seen has a screen that comes even close to the quality and refresh-rate of
>the one on the Mac.  I barely notice the difference between it and the
>"real Mac" on my desk.  It has a couple of drawbacks, but IMHO the screen
>is not one of them.  My only complaint with the screen is that I would
>like the *option* of back-lighting it.
>
>Just to clarify, buy a Mac Portable if you want a Mac, great games are a
>nice extra, but by themselves they are certainly not worth what Apple is
>charging.

I see you have never tried to actually use games on the Portable.  Yes,
the screen is grand and wonderful, but there a *VERY* few games that
run on it and those that do are usually kinda funky because it does not
know how big the screen is and sets it for the Mac II and ends up cutting
the whole bottom of the screen off..

-Desi

	      ______
             /      | Desi S. Fuller - Rochester Institute of Technology
            |       |
  _________/        | "Where the Men are Men, and so are the Women"
 /  R.I.T.          | Internet: dsf2652%ucss@cs.rit.edu
 |_____________     | UUCP:{decvax,harvard,ames,rutgers}rochester!ritcv!dsf2652