[comp.sys.laptops] Weltec external 5.25" floppy drive

zavdi@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Zavdi Lichtman) (02/21/90)

Weltec (of Irvine CA) has a 5.25" external floppy drives for laptops
(Toshiba, Tandy, NEC, Zenith and more), in 360K and 1.2MB versions.
These have their own power supply (from AC).
I'll appreciate comments if anybody got experience with these,
especially with a T1000SE.
Thanks- zavdi
--
Std Disclaim...
zavdi@ctt.bellcore.com

gjelatis@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (George D. Jelatis) (02/23/90)

In article <20162@bellcore.bellcore.com> zavdi@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Zavdi Lichtman) writes:
>Weltec (of Irvine CA) has a 5.25" external floppy drives for laptops
>(Toshiba, Tandy, NEC, Zenith and more), in 360K and 1.2MB versions.
>I'll appreciate comments if anybody got experience with these,

I have been using one of these drives (360K) on my Zenith-181 for over
a year.  It works fine, and has done some travelling without problems.

mrich@milton.acs.washington.edu (Michael Richardson) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb22.192010.13913@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> gjelatis@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (George D. Jelatis) writes:
>In article <20162@bellcore.bellcore.com> zavdi@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Zavdi Lichtman) writes:
>>Weltec (of Irvine CA) has a 5.25" external floppy drives for laptops
>>(Toshiba, Tandy, NEC, Zenith and more), in 360K and 1.2MB versions.
>>I'll appreciate comments if anybody got experience with these,
>
>I have been using one of these drives (360K) on my Zenith-181 for over
>a year.  It works fine, and has done some travelling without problems.

Ditto.  I've had one on my Z-182-93 for the last year and it has worked
fine with no problems.  I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but
that's not its fault...

Mike Richardson
UW Radiology

gsds@tahoma.UUCP (K.C.Babb) (02/24/90)

In article <20162@bellcore.bellcore.com>, zavdi@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Zavdi Lichtman) writes:
> Weltec (of Irvine CA) has a 5.25" external floppy drives for laptops
> (Toshiba, Tandy, NEC, Zenith and more), in 360K and 1.2MB versions.
> These have their own power supply (from AC).
> I'll appreciate comments if anybody got experience with these,
> especially with a T1000SE.
> Thanks- zavdi
> --
> Std Disclaim...
> zavdi@ctt.bellcore.com

I am also interested in this info, but for an NEC Multispeed.  I'm
getting real tired of hauling the thing around and using LapLink
just to get files from desktops which only have 5.25's.

Who carries these Weltec things?  It seems that they (and their
kin) would provide the simplest and cleanest way to hang an
external floppy off of this NEC (self-contained, hook-it-up-
and-go usability, etc.).  And about how much do they cost?

Hopefully I can find one in Computer Shopper, but I would
really appreciate some feedback/recommendations first.

Thanks in advance for the info.

KCB

--
(standard--or otherwise--disclaimer not worth the bother)
Singh/Masden/Babb/Chen           Voice: (206) 237-2564