[comp.sys.laptops] question about trs 80 model 100/disk driver

cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed) (02/20/90)

  Help! Does anybody out there still use a TRS 80 Model 100 with the
  "Portable Disk Drive II"? I have lost the one line of BASIC
  code you need to establish communication with the disk in order
  to load in the disk controller program "floppy".
  Thanks.
--
---
cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/25/90)

In article <1990Feb19.222037.10642@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed) writes:
>  Help! Does anybody out there still use a TRS 80 Model 100 with the
>  "Portable Disk Drive II"? I have lost the one line of BASIC
>  code you need to establish communication with the disk in order
>  to load in the disk controller program "floppy".

From the Operation Manual, page 7-8:

1. Turn ON all 4 DIP switches on the drive.
2. Turn on the computer and the drive, and insert the utility disk.
3. Go into BASIC.
4. Enter this program:
      10 OPEN"COM:88N1DNN"FOR OUTPUT AS#1
      20 PRINT#1,"S10985157C00AD7EF08B3AS901FE"
      30 LOAD"COM:88N1ENN",R
      SAVE"IPL.BA"
5. Hit F8 to exit BASIC.
6. Run IPL.BA from the main menu.

Then you have to turn the drive's DIP switches OFF for normal operation.
The drive's low-battery indicator blinks fast if you have the switches
set wrong.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Chia-Chi Chao) (02/25/90)

In article <38932@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:
>In article <1990Feb19.222037.10642@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed) writes:
>>  Help! Does anybody out there still use a TRS 80 Model 100 with the
>>  "Portable Disk Drive II"? I have lost the one line of BASIC
>
>From the Operation Manual, page 7-8:
>
>1. Turn ON all 4 DIP switches on the drive.

If I remember correctly, TPDD II does NOT have DIP switches.  TPDD I does,
so I believe the FLOPPY loaders are different.

cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed) (02/28/90)

In article <22402@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> chao@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Chia-Chi Chao) writes:
>In article <38932@apple.Apple.COM> dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) writes:
>>In article <1990Feb19.222037.10642@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed) writes:
>>>  Help! Does anybody out there still use a TRS 80 Model 100 with the
>>>  "Portable Disk Drive II"? I have lost the one line of BASIC
>>
>>From the Operation Manual, page 7-8:
>>
>>1. Turn ON all 4 DIP switches on the drive.
>
>If I remember correctly, TPDD II does NOT have DIP switches.  TPDD I does,
>so I believe the FLOPPY loaders are different.

    Thanks to those who mailed or posted. Yup, no dips evident on the
    II... but it works fine at 19,200 baud... so really, all you need
    is the line that sets up that speed, and you're away. (i.e. run "com:98...")
    I guess there are some switches inside if you want to decrease
    the baud. :-) :-)

--
---
cbs@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Chris Syed)