[comp.sys.laptops] Word processor for Toshiba T1000SE

charleen@zodiac.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (02/28/90)

We've recently acquired a couple of T1000SEs for business trip usage.
You probably already know the hardware limitations:  one high-density
floppy drive, 1 meg RAM, no hard disk.  I need to find a word processing
program that will fit comfortably within these parameters.

It should be:

-Easy to use.  Typical T1000SE users at our site will be Macintosh or
 UNIX people, unaccustomed to DOS.

-Relatively inexpensive.

-If necessary, capable of converting text files from a proprietary
 format to ASCII format.

Thanks for any leads.  E-mail would probably be best, then I'll
summarize.

Charleen

wcalvin@milton.acs.washington.edu (William Calvin) (02/28/90)

Before I got my 2Mb RAMcard for the T1000SE, I ran WordPerfect 5.0
quite successfully off the 1.44Mb disk drive, minus the speller.  If
you must run it out of the 384kb virtual disk in HardRAM, consider]
WordPerfect Executive.  Certainly 5.0 has a conversion program from
common formats (separate CONVERT.EXE, not built-in).

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/01/90)

A lot of people use Microsoft Works on their laptops.  Of course you get
more than a word processor, since it has spreadsheet, database, and
communications parts integrated together.  But it certainly has a lot
of bang for the buck.  It is cheaper than the shareware price of
any comparable combination of wp, spreadsheet, database, and comms
that you can find in the shareware world.

If you just want word processing, there is PC-Write, and I hear they have
a "Lite" version, which apparently is leaner, more in the spirit of the
earlier versions of PC-Write.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

eric@dvinci.usask.ca (Eric Neufeld) (03/01/90)

I just acquired Micro-Emacs, which is wonderful.  It is about 120-130K
itself, and after a few weeks of using it (not regularly) seems to support
a useful subset of Emacs features.

Prior to that I was using a "vi" variant produced by Manx software, which
was a little faster (but it was "vi"), is about 100K.

I was occasionally using the PCwrite editor as well, about the same size.
As a UNIX fan, I was just used to the keystrokes of the other two.

This, by the way, on a T1000 with only a half meg of memory, no hard disk.
I have had no serious performance problems.

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (03/02/90)

> A lot of people use Microsoft Works on their laptops. ...  But it certainly
> has a lot of bang for the buck.  It is cheaper than the shareware price of
> any comparable combination of wp, spreadsheet, database, and comms that you
> can find in the shareware world.

Well, how much does Microsoft Works cost?

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/03/90)

In article <1990Mar1.113557.1375@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>> A lot of people use Microsoft Works on their laptops. ...  But it certainly
>> has a lot of bang for the buck.  It is cheaper than the shareware price of
>> any comparable combination of wp, spreadsheet, database, and comms that you
>> can find in the shareware world.
>
>Well, how much does Microsoft Works cost?

Well, checking my latest copy of PC Mag, I see that MicroWarehouse sells it
for $95, PC Connection for $99, Telemart for $94, Dustin for $99, Swan for $99,
so that should be fairly representative.  I think students can get it in
University bookstores for about $60.

--

shepherd@ecs.umass.edu (03/06/90)

In article <11056@zodiac.ADS.COM>, charleen@zodiac.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
> We've recently acquired a couple of T1000SEs for business trip usage.
> You probably already know the hardware limitations:  one high-density
> floppy drive, 1 meg RAM, no hard disk.  I need to find a word processing
> program that will fit comfortably within these parameters.
>
> It should be:
>
> -Easy to use.  Typical T1000SE users at our site will be Macintosh or
>  UNIX people, unaccustomed to DOS.
>
> -Relatively inexpensive.
>
> -If necessary, capable of converting text files from a proprietary
>  format to ASCII format.
>
> Thanks for any leads.  E-mail would probably be best, then I'll
> summarize.
>
> Charleen

I use a T1000SE daily at grad school as an electronic notebook. Use Wordperfect
4.2 with no problems. It fits on 1 diskette. The only time the single drive
gets awkward is during Print and Dictionary routines, where there is a lot of
flipping between drives A: and B:, which on the T1000SE happen to be the same
drive. But overall, I'm real happy with this combination.

#8*} Esteban.