[comp.sys.laptops] Zenith MiniSport vs. T1000SE / XE

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (03/08/90)

I've seen the Zenith MiniSport here in Toronto, and it looks pretty nice.
Expandable to 2M, but with a 720K two (yes, 2) inch floppy drive.  Only
5.4 lbs, *very* small (I think it was 12x8x1.3 inches).  Does anyone have
any experience with this little monster?  How does it compare to the T1000SE,
which was my first choice until I saw this thing.  (BTW, I *still* haven't
seen a T1000SE here in Toronto... looks like I may have to mail order it
from the US if I decide to get one.)

	And does anyone have any idea how the price of the T1000XE (the
20M hard drive one, without the floppy) will compare to the SE?

--
"C is a language that provides you plenty of rope.  You will likely end up
getting seriously tangled in it if you're not careful." -- CSRI C intro.

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (03/09/90)

In article <1990Mar7.210921.2402@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
> I've seen the Zenith MiniSport here in Toronto, and it looks pretty nice.
> Expandable to 2M, but with a 720K two (yes, 2) inch floppy drive.  Only
> 5.4 lbs, *very* small (I think it was 12x8x1.3 inches).  Does anyone have
> any experience with this little monster?  How does it compare to the T1000SE,
> which was my first choice until I saw this thing.  (BTW, I *still* haven't
> seen a T1000SE here in Toronto... looks like I may have to mail order it
> from the US if I decide to get one.)
>
> 	And does anyone have any idea how the price of the T1000XE (the
> 20M hard drive one, without the floppy) will compare to the SE?
>
> Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525

List price for the T1000XE is $26XX U.S. For street price you can expect the
same discounting as for the T1000SE. My tentative price (haggled out with
my dealer) is $1880. That compares to, say, $1100-$1200 for a T1000SE (list
price $16XX). You can probably get slightly better pricing if you wait
for half a year or so.

I've looked at the MiniSport before deciding on the T1000SE/XE. The form
factor is nice, and it sure looks rugged. It's marginally lighter (5.4lb
vs 6lb), and the RAM upgrade (to 2MB) is conventional and thus cheaper.
What put me off is mainly the screen. It looks like what used to be good
enough two years ago. Only 640x200, not particularly crisp, somewhat squashed,
not particularly good contrast, and otherwise not impressive. The keyboard
doesn't feel quite as good either (very subjective of course). And then
there's the difference between 800K on a new, expensive medium versus 1.4MB
on a well-known, well-established (and interchangeable) medium.

The T1000SE isn't going after the "smallest laptop" price. As you keep
shrinking your computer, you keep making compromises. The question is when
those compromises stop being worth it for you. A Second-rate display or keyboard
isn't worth it for me - I'm a touch typist, and I like to work an hour or two
on end without getting cramps or headaches. Using nonstandard media might be
worth while, except that Zenith has thrown away capacity in the bargain.
I wouldn't have bought the T1000SE if it didn't have the 1.4MB capacity drive.

I'll stop myself from rambling on here. Disclaimer: I have a T1000SE, so I
must feel good about it :-).
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry