[comp.sys.laptops] Battery packs for T1000SE

charleen@zodiac.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (03/13/90)

Has anyone bothered to buy an extra battery pack for their T1000SE?
Is it worth the expense?

I'll be taking a long train trip in May.  I'd like to take the
Toshiba with me, but recharging opportunities may be spotty.  I
was thinking an extra battery pack would help.

Thanks,
Charleen

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (03/14/90)

In article <11226@zodiac.ADS.COM> charleen@zodiac.ads.com (Charleen Bunjiovianna) writes:
> Has anyone bothered to buy an extra battery pack for their T1000SE?
> Is it worth the expense?
>
> I'll be taking a long train trip in May.  I'd like to take the
> Toshiba with me, but recharging opportunities may be spotty.  I
> was thinking an extra battery pack would help.
>
> Thanks,
> Charleen

Yes, I've bought a spare, and I'm ordering another one. My price is $58 (plus
tax), from my favorite computer dealer (mail order may be lower).

There's two reasons (that I can see) for getting extra batteries: running time
and the "memory effect". Let's look at this:

You can expect about three hours of operation out of one (fully charged)
battery (possibly less if you have a memory expansion installed). If you want,
say, six hours of operation away from a power outlet, get one extra battery,
and so on.
Batteries recharge in about four hours (with the T1000SE off). If you have
more than one empty one, you'll have to switch them every four hours.
Remember that the T1000SE actually tells you when a battery is full (the
rightmost LED goes from orange to green), so you don't have to overcharge
"just in case" (though it's safe to do so, say overnight).
You could buy Toshiba's quick charger (charges up to three batteries), but
this is a low-volume, high-markup accessory, and isn't worth it in my opinion.

Then there's the "memory effect": NiCd batteries (like the one in the
T1000SE) are subject to this problem. If you repeatedly discharge a NiCd
battery partially, it will end up holding only part of its original
charge. You should *always* try to *fully* discharge a NiCd battery before
(fully) recharging it. "Topping off" a NiCd battery is a Bad Thing (it doesn't
hurt you immediately, but doing it repeatedly reduces its effective capacity).
In your case, that means that you should run  your T1000SE until it turns itself
off (remember that this enables AutoResume, so you don't lose your work).
Of course, if you have only one battery, this stops you until you can get
to a power outlet. On the other hand, if you have a second battery, you can
happily squeeze the last drop out of your first one, knowing that you can switch
to the (presumably full) alternate.

Two batteries are usually enough. In my case, there's these dratted trans-
atlantic flights where six hours of operation aren't nearly enough. I just
figure that after nine hours of typing and staring, I'll be tired enough to
stop...

Good luck, and enjoy your toy, eh, your high-tech precision device
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry