[comp.sys.laptops] Help for choosing a laptop/portable

teach@tc.fluke.COM (Dick Beier) (03/13/90)

Okay!  I give up!

I just finished reading the great tome in the March 13th issue of PC Mag.
on high end laptops and portables.  Now I a really undecided!

Can anyone add credence or experience to what this article said?

I am looking for a replacement for my rusty old XT style clone (V20)
machine at home.  It's been a good machine for me.  I have no complaints
other than the keyboard which I replaced with a Northgate 101 about three
years ago.  However, it is equipped with only 640KB of RAM, two 40MB hard
disks and a couple of slow 360KB floppies.  The video is Herculese
compatable.  It still is a good machine for Word Processing, General data
base stuff and home accounting.  The problem is that my children (ages 14
to 6, all 6 of them) have discover games, and homework help (in that order)
and I have discovered that in my extensive travels for the company that I
can't be fully alive without a keyboard (i.e. my hand writing is s__t).  I
am also getting deeper and deeper into graphics, desktop publishing, heavy
spreadsheets, and telecommuting.  All this adds up to a real need for a
protable/laptop that is both rugged and powerful.

I am well aware of the volatility of the PC market at this time.  It
doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out that a bad decission now can cost
you plenty later.  Since I have a big family, I can't afford any of the
pitfalls.

I know that within a few years there will be vertually no software
available that will run on anything less than a fast 286 with a lot of
available RAM and Hard Disk.  I also believe that the 386sx is a ploy that
Intel is using to dump 16 bit chip sets befor comming out with a really
nice and reasonable 32 bit set.  There is no love lost between me and IBM,
in particular when it comes to MCA, but I love their keyboards.  I need a
lot of disk space now!  The programs I now use are heady and slow on the
old machine and my AT-339 at work is not much better.

So . . .  What do I do?  I am willing to go into debt to buy the best
bang for the buck I can get, but I cannot make a mistake by purchasing a
machine the is going to be history in five years.  Am I asking too much?
I'll listen to anybody with experience and a better crystal ball than mine.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vax4/usr2/teach			MS# 239-D			Ph: x5908
Dick Beier . . . aka: Dicky-Poo . . . that's Mr. Poo to my enemies.  B-{)
--

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar13.134717.19807@tc.fluke.COM> teach@tc.fluke.COM (Dick Beier) writes:

>Okay!  I give up!
>
>I just finished reading the great tome in the March 13th issue of PC Mag.
>on high end laptops and portables.  Now I a really undecided!
>
>Can anyone add credence or experience to what this article said?

Well, I'm very satisfied with my Toshiba 3200SX. I needed a system
that was at least as powerful as what I use in the office (a '286
and a real '386) for development. My primary criteria were screen
and keyboard usability (I'm developping windowing stuff, which
is certainly one way of exercising a machine :-) So the first
point comes down to whether you like plasma screens -- people seem
to love them or hate them. For me, it was much better than any LCD
I've seen. This one's big, displays shades of grey, VGA, and has
a contrast control (essential, IMHO).The keyboard is full AT-style,
with real keypad an decent feel. Comes with a fast 40MB disk.
Doesn't have a battery, but you might consider the 3100SX if you need
one (in which case you get a smaller screen and keyboard, no contrast
control (I think), *and* Toshiba-only expansion slots. The 3200SX
has two real PC slots, which I need for a LAN card). Going up a notch
(and about $5K), the 5200 is a 386 machine with 100MB disk, and otherwise
the same features as the 3200, as far as I can tell (one company I'm
associated with has standardized on these). I've added a 2400 baud
internal modem and a 2MB RAM card to my machine, making it useable
just about anywhere I care/need to go.
(Sorry for the terse description. Feel free to ask me questions.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.