[comp.sys.laptops] Portfolio to Mac Connection

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (03/09/90)

Is there a way to connect the portfolio to the Mac?  I would like to
transfer text files and WingZ (Lotus-123 format) spreadsheets. I
would also like to be able to transfer files in both directions.

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgres.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (03/12/90)

In article <Mar.8.13.32.53.1990.14643@galaxy.rutgers.edu> bannon@andromeda (Ron Bannon) writes:
> Is there a way to connect the portfolio to the Mac?  I would like to
> transfer text files and WingZ (Lotus-123 format) spreadsheets. I
> would also like to be able to transfer files in both directions.

There sure is. Just buy the Serial Interface and you'll be adding an
RS232-C interface to your Portfolio. I've got one and use it all the
time to connect my Portfolio to my Mac, modems, UNIX boxes, etc. Atari
has a PD terminal program out for the Portfolio that utilizes the
Serial Interface. The program is really quite snazzy. It's only 3K in
size, but supports ASCII and XMODEM uploading/downloading, and even has
a simple macro facility.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (03/14/90)

How do you download Atari's terminal emulator without already having an
emulator which supports up/download?

	--Steve

Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |
Internet: stephen@cs.ucla.edu              UCLA Bruin-->    {  \_@_/  }
GEnie:    S.WHITNEY                                           `-----'

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (03/14/90)

In article <32974@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
> How do you download Atari's terminal emulator without already having an
> emulator which supports up/download?

Interesting problem, isn't it?  There are 3 solutions that I can think
of off hand:

1. Send a memory card (along with SASE) to someone who has XTERM2.COM
and ask them to put it on the card and mail it back to you. I'll do
that for you if all else fails. Send it to:

ME Connick & Company
PO Box 307
Bradley Beach, NJ 07720

2. There are some checksum and hex format convertor programs on the
Compuserve Atari Productivity forum that apparently can be loaded
directly into the Portfolio, along with XTERM2.COM in hex format. I've
heard it's kind of a frustrating and error-prone way of "lifting
yourself up by your own bootstraps", but that you can eventually manage
to get the terminal program into your Portfolio this way. Of course it
requires that you have a Compuserve account.

3. Buy the Parallel Interface unit for the Portfolio and beg, borrow,
or steal time on a PC to transfer the XTERM2.COM program onto your
Portfolio using the unit. The Portfolio ROM contains a reliable
transfer protocol for use with the Parallel Interface, and the
interface includes 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 inch disks containing a file
transfer program for the PC. The supporting software is really quite
nifty and allows either the PC or Portfolio to act as a file server for
the other. If you have regular access to a PC, I'd recommend you buy
this unit as it's really the most convenient way to move files into and
out of the Portfolio.

astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/15/90)

In article <4183@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick,mt,) writes:
>In article <32974@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> stephen@cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
>> How do you download Atari's terminal emulator without already having an
>> emulator which supports up/download?
>
>Interesting problem, isn't it?  There are 3 solutions that I can think
>of off hand:
>
>1. Send a memory card (along with SASE) to someone who has XTERM2.COM[...]
>2. [type it in...]
>3. Buy the Parallel Interface unit for the Portfolio and beg, borrow,[...]

4. type "copy com1: xterm.com"
	This will copy everything from the COM1: port to the specified
	file.  You may have to set up the COM port with the MODE command.
	This type of thing will work best with a short, well shielded
	cable at slow speeds (300..1200bps).  If the program gets
	corrupted on it's way to the Portfolio it probably won't work
	and could cause your machine to crash.  One way to check for
	corruption is to download several copies and and byte compare
	them.  If they're identical the chances are they are all good.

	This method will also work in the reverse direction.  If you don't
	have a file comparer on the Porfolio just transfer the file back
	and check it there.  Keep on doing it until you get zero corruption
	(which might never happen)
--
<-:(= Tony Stieber	astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   att!uwm!uwmcsd4!astieber

STRAUS@applelink.apple.com (Jim Straus) (03/16/90)

In article <2910@uwm.edu> astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber)
writes:
> 4. type "copy com1: xterm.com"

This won't work to get XTerm into the Portfolio because the Copy command
stops when it sees an end of file mark (Control-Z), of which there are a
few in the Portfolio.  The original message described a method using
CHKSUM.COM, HEXBIN.COM and XTERM.HEX which does work as none of the three
files contains a Control-Z.  However, the process is tedious and should
only be undertaken if there is no easier source.  You might want to check
if a local Portfolio dealer has a copy of XTerm and you can copy it from
them.
   -jim straus

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (03/16/90)

In article <2910@uwm.edu> astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) writes:
> 4. type "copy com1: xterm.com"
> 	This will copy everything from the COM1: port to the specified
> 	file.  You may have to set up the COM port with the MODE command.
> 	This type of thing will work best with a short, well shielded
> 	cable at slow speeds (300..1200bps).  If the program gets
> 	corrupted on it's way to the Portfolio it probably won't work
> 	and could cause your machine to crash.  One way to check for
> 	corruption is to download several copies and and byte compare
> 	them.  If they're identical the chances are they are all good.

Unfortunately this won't work. There are binary values contained in the
XTERM program that are equivalent to an ASCII CTRL-Z. As soon as the
copy command hits one, it will terminate due to reading what it
considers to be an end-of-file character. So you'll never be able to get
the entire program loaded onto the Portfolio using this technique.

astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (03/18/90)

In article <4217@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick,mt,) writes:
>In article <2910@uwm.edu> astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) writes:
>> 4. type "copy com1: xterm.com"
>Unfortunately this won't work. There are binary values contained in the

oops!

Thanks to you and others for catching this.  Fortunatly correct responses
outnumber incorrect responses.  Next time, I'll actually try it out
before I post it.
--
<-:(= Tony Stieber	astieber@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   att!uwm!uwmcsd4!astieber