[comp.sys.laptops] Booting MINIX from a 720K 3.5 floppy

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar16.022933.11010@iwarp.intel.com> pcm@iwarp.intel.com
(Phil Miller) writes:

> Yes, I've successfully booted & run MINIX on a Zenith laptop computer.
> I didn't do anything special to make it work, just made a boot disk (on
> another machine), a root file system disk, and booted it up just fine.
>
> I sort of made a point of doing this; for some reason, I got a perverse
> kick out of running (something like) Unix on a computer while riding
> in a car between Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington; maybe this
> is a first?

  Yea, we all know that, it's a perversity of the highest order to have
  to ride a car between Portland, OR and Seattle, WA... ;-))  but how
  about attempting another first -- that of burning a suitable subset of
  Minix into a ROM, and putting that, instead of the MSDOS, into, say,
  a Toshiba T1000SE?

  In fact:  can it be done at all, as far as the Toshiba/ Minix
  is concerned?

  Could Andy T. perhaps indicate what subset of commands, apart from
  the kernel, is it that one ought to select for such a minimum setup?

--Ian Feldman / ianf@nada.kth.se  ||  uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf / The "I had the
        bug narrowed down to a subrutine and then I lost all interest" hacker

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (03/18/90)

In article <3149@draken.nada.kth.se> ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) writes:
>  Could Andy T. perhaps indicate what subset of commands, apart from
>  the kernel, is it that one ought to select for such a minimum setup?

I never took a course on Toshiba ROMs so I don't know what goes into them.
Sorry.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) (03/19/90)

Utility programs in a ROM?  Good grief.  I suppose it has something to do
with not having a hard disk.  Probably you would want sync, mount, ls,
sh, cat, cp, login, mv, mkdir, rm, rmdir and su I guess.

Andy Tanenbaum

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (03/20/90)

In article <18573@boulder.Colorado.EDU> Andy Tanenbaum <ast@cs.vu.nl> writes:
> Utility programs in a ROM?  Good grief.  I suppose it has something to do
> with not having a hard disk.  Probably you would want sync, mount, ls,
> sh, cat, cp, login, mv, mkdir, rm, rmdir and su I guess.
>
> Andy Tanenbaum

  Actually it has more to do with not having to listen to
  an ever-spinning, noisy, harddisk.... or as little as possible,
  anyway.  There are but 2 laptops on the market that are equipped
  with a self-spinning-down harddrives: the Compaq SLT and the Apple
  Portable -- unfortunately they're both very expensive and the second
  one is rather of a "transportable" school.

  The rationale for putting as much as possible of the utilities,
  along with Minix kernel, in a ROM is also that they rarely ever
  change.... so why bother with a harddisk, if one could boot and
  run a number of programs from a no-delay ROM?