[comp.sys.laptops] Backlit screen for Tsohiba T1000

mdfreed@contact.uucp (Mark D. Freedman) (03/16/90)

   I've seen a baclight retrofit (Axonic) for the T1000 advertised in Byte
for about $300 US, and a backlit screen (according to Canadian Consumer) from BTE Supply in
British Columbia for about $330 Canadian.
   I'm not sure whether the latter is a complete replacement screen or a
retrofit which necessitates sending the computer to BC for upgrading.
   My chief complaint with the T1000 is (of course) the barely legible
screen. Has anyone added a backlit screen ? Does it make a significant
difference ?? How severely does it affect battery life ?
   I will write to BTE Supply for additional information, but would
appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone this route.

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar16.011134.9444@contact.uucp> mdfreed@contact.UUCP (Mark D. Freedman) writes:

>   I've seen a baclight retrofit (Axonic) for the T1000 advertised in Byte
>for about $300 US, and a backlit screen (according to Canadian Consumer) from BTE Supply in
>British Columbia for about $330 Canadian.
>   I'm not sure whether the latter is a complete replacement screen or a
>retrofit which necessitates sending the computer to BC for upgrading.
>   My chief complaint with the T1000 is (of course) the barely legible
>screen. Has anyone added a backlit screen ? Does it make a significant
>difference ?? How severely does it affect battery life ?

I don't have first-hand experience, but I have read a report of the Axonic
retrofit for the T1200.  It was extremely tricky to install (you have to
remove the reflective backing of the display, which means it is a non-
reversible installation).  The results were apparently mediocre.  It
cut down on battery life significantly.  The conclusions were that if you
absolutely need backlighting, becuase you want to use it where you don't
have lights, for example, then it is better than nothing.  But otherwise
it was not recommended.

I guess everything is relative.  I don't think the T1000 is "barely legible".
Have you ever seen an IBM Convertible or an Amstrad PPC640, or a
Sharp PC-5000?  Now there are some that are barely legible!

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching