[comp.sys.laptops] NEC Prospeed 286/WordPerfect Problem

37641_1066@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/19/90)

I recently bought an NEC Prospeed 286 and am very pleased with my purchase.
However, I have discovered a small problem. When using WordPerfect 5.0, I am
unable to make use of the 'view document' command. When I attempt to do so,
the screen is cleared, but remains blank. This has also occured when using
a graphing program called Axum to view a graph. Other programs such as
Harvard Graphics or Sigmaplot work without a hitch. I attempted to solve the
problem by installing different screen drivers, but nothing helps. The
Prospeed 286 has a VGA 680X480 compatible driver.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it? Is this a dilemna
which is perculiar to the Prospeed?

chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) (03/22/90)

In article <5406.2603b9ab@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 37641_1066@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> I recently bought an NEC Prospeed 286 and am very pleased with my purchase.
> However, I have discovered a small problem. When using WordPerfect 5.0, I am
> unable to make use of the 'view document' command. When I attempt to do so,
> the screen is cleared, but remains blank. This has also occured when using
> a graphing program called Axum to view a graph. Other programs such as
> Harvard Graphics or Sigmaplot work without a hitch. I attempted to solve the
> problem by installing different screen drivers, but nothing helps. The
> Prospeed 286 has a VGA 680X480 compatible driver.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it? Is this a dilemna
> which is perculiar to the Prospeed?

I just tested WP5.1 on my Prospeed 286; no problems viewing documents,
nor dispaying anything else.  A couple of things you may want to try, though:

1. Make sure that your palette is set to DEFAULT.SET, the default screen
   palette for the NEC.  You do this via the setup.exe file which came with
   the unit.  Since the screen can only display 8 levels of grey, if you
   mucked with the palette, you might have strange results where blacks get
   displayed as white, etc.  Both mode mono and co80 seem to work OK for me.

2. If you are running the ROM-based disk cache or ramdisk, turn them off.
   I have had problems with these conflicting with extended mode software
   resulting in hangs; probably not related, but worth a shot.

3. Temporarily remove any TSR's you may have loaded on the system; these
   might be causing problems with the ROM-based software (i.e., disk cache,
   extended / expanded memory mngr's), and see if WP begins to work.

My guess is that you have software loaded which is interfering with the sys
when it goes into graphics mode; perhaps some memory manager software of
some kind?  The incompatibility which I've ever seen w/the Prospeed 286 is
running "The Soft Kicker" w/Ventura 2.0 -- the screen would flake out, but
would work properly w/an external VGA monitor.  I run Ventura, WordPerfect,
Microsoft Word, Informix, and Windows regularly with no software problems.
--
Jerry Chan 508-853-0747, Fax 508-853-2262  |"My views necessarily reflect the
Chan Smart!Ware Computer Services & Prods  | views of the Company because