[comp.sys.laptops] Is your battery REALLY necessary?

trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/22/90)

I am interested in discovering how many laptoppers actually use the battery
feature of their machines.  I have a Zenith Z-181 which has the battery
built in so that, even with the power pack, the battery must be toted
around.  I also have a SuperSport 286 from which the battery can be
detached and that is the way it is always operated.  I claim that one is
VERY rarely far from a power source and that the battery is just extra
ballast.  Do others share that opinion and are there any models that do not
have batteries but expect to be close to either 110 or 220 volts?

If you wish to answer to my e-mail address I will summarize the responses
rather than clutter up the list.
--

Trevor Cradduck,                |  Phone: (519) 667-6574
Department of Nuclear Medicine, |  FAX: (519) 667-6734

pfeiffer@nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer) (03/22/90)

trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca, in <5448.26080b81@uwovax.uwo.ca>:

|I am interested in discovering how many laptoppers actually use the battery
|feature of their machines.  I have a Zenith Z-181 which has the battery
|built in so that, even with the power pack, the battery must be toted
|around.  I also have a SuperSport 286 from which the battery can be
|detached and that is the way it is always operated.  I claim that one is
|VERY rarely far from a power source and that the battery is just extra
|ballast.  Do others share that opinion and are there any models that do not
|have batteries but expect to be close to either 110 or 220 volts?

The best way to find this out is to lose the batteries.  I have a
Kaypro 2000, with a fuse between the battery pack and the board.  For
an unknown reason (I suspect a short in the batteries, but never
mind), the fuse frequently blows when you plug in the charger.  It's
hard enough to get to that I now effectively have a laptop whose
batteries really are just ballast.

It just demolishes the usefulness of the machine.  I had no idea how
frequently I popped up the top and worked without plugging in.  The
machine now sits at home in my den; I can't remember the last time I
actually took it somewhere.  Without batteries, you just plain won't
use it as a portable.

I've got to do something about those batteries....

-Joe.

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (03/24/90)

In article <5448.26080b81@uwovax.uwo.ca> trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> I am interested in discovering how many laptoppers actually use the battery
> feature of their machines.  I have a Zenith Z-181 which has the battery
> built in so that, even with the power pack, the battery must be toted
> around.  I also have a SuperSport 286 from which the battery can be
> detached and that is the way it is always operated.  I claim that one is
> VERY rarely far from a power source and that the battery is just extra
> ballast.  Do others share that opinion and are there any models that do not
> have batteries but expect to be close to either 110 or 220 volts?

There's several reasons why I like to have a battery-driven laptop computer.
First, my main reason for having a laptop at all, is to take it around with me
"wherever I go". That includes drives to the park to let the sun shine on my
belly. I use it as an electronic notebook and workbench, to be there whenever
inspiration strikes me (if you forgive the poetic flash). I'm sure that if I
searched hard enough, I could almost always find a power source (e.g., some-
body's car battery), but the point is that the box (a T1000SE) takes about
three seconds from off to ready. I type my thoughts and turn it off again.
The laziness threshold to use the thing is pretty low. If I had to hunt
for a power outlet, or go beg for somebody's permission to use his power,
I would probably just let it go.

Then there's the places where you just can't get a power line: airplanes,
for example. Or try to ask that nice train operator. Or think of using your
laptop on the bus to work, or just sitting on a bench waiting for the many
things that you have to wait for on site. Five-to-fifteen minute occasions
that I couldn't use if I had to hunt for power first.

Another reason: I take the word "laptop" serious. The computer more often
than not sits (or bounces) on my lap. As you can imagine, a cable would
cramp that style. I can hop from table to bed to couch, taking the box with
me, without disconnecting, reconnecting, cursing short cables, getting the
cat tangled in the cable, having somebody stumble over it, etc.

All that of course assumes that you're actually talking about a *laptop*
computer, not a *portable*. If you move your computer from point A to point B
and back on schedule (e.g., from home to work and back once a day), you don't
need a laptop. In short, if you never expect to use your computer outside of
a small set of places (home, work, customer sites, Ma's den), you may very well
not need a battery at all. Mostly, batteries are useful for computer use
"in between". Without batteries, your laptop is just six pounds of weight
on the way. If that doesn't worry you, then indeed you should look for a model
without batteries. (Toshiba's Tnnnn where nnnn>3000 are mains power-only,
for example, mostly because they use power hungry displays.)

We're having a power outage here, and the backup unit's running low. Good bye
until another time... :-)
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/24/90)

>In article <5448.26080b81@uwovax.uwo.ca> trevorc@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>> I also have a SuperSport 286 from which the battery can be
>> detached and that is the way it is always operated...

A word of caution is in order here.  Not all portables can be operated
with the battery removed and only the ac adapter connected.  Some may
be damaged this way!  Read the fine print in your user manual carefully,
and if it doesn't say that it can or cannot be operated without the
battery in place, you are on risky ground if you try it.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching