[comp.sys.laptops] Wanted: information on external floppy and hard disks for T1000

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (04/09/90)

I would like to get some information on external floppy and hard
drives that can be used with a Toshiba T1000.  Anybody have some
suggestions?
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr9.125621.16884@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:

>I would like to get some information on external floppy and hard
>drives that can be used with a Toshiba T1000.  Anybody have some
>suggestions?

Since Toshiba's own external floppy drives list for over $400,
I bought a Weltech ($160) but I would certainly not recommend
it.  Here is an excerpt from something I posted in comp.sys.ibm.pc:

I recently bought a Weltech 5-1/4" floppy drive for my Toshiba 1200 HB
laptop.  When the Toshiba completely failed to recognize the external
drive, I sent my asst. for a replacement.  The Toshiba recognizes the
replacement, and files can be read from it, but it won't write files or
make directories.  It sometimes thinks it has written something to disc
at first, then realizes it hasn't.

The asst. took drive #2 back and the vendor (47th St.) ran diagnostics
on it that gave it a clean bill of health.  I then tried it on another
1200HB, and that laptop wouldn't even recognize it.

Before I give up on Weltech and demand my money back, I'd like to know
if other laptoppists have encountered this problem, and if anyone has
had experience with the Weltech-Toshiba combination that may shed light
on the problem.

Although no one has gotten back to me Weltech drives, a few people
have related minor problems they've had with Toshibs internal
drives that sound controller-related (the Weltech uses the Toshiba's
controller).