[comp.sys.laptops] Adding a V30 to a T1000SE: possible?

rkaplan@csb1.nlm.nih.gov (Richard Kaplan) (04/13/90)

In article <6232@rouge.usl.edu> jpd@pc.usl.edu (DugalJP) writes:

>I understand that the Toshiba T1000SE uses a 80C86 cpu.  The NEC V30
>chip is a replacement for the 8086.  So, I'm wondering if it is likely
>to work in place of the cmos 8086.  Further, is the cpu chip in the
>T1000se a socketed DIP?

I do not own a T1000SE, but I have owned and/or peeked inside
3 different Toshiba laptops (1000, 1100, 1200HB), and I have
generally found that ALL of the chips are soldered... even
the BIOS!  I know this because I wanted to add a "no slot
clock" to my T1100 (a clock which piggybacks on any ROM or
RAM chip in the computer) and there wasn't a single place I
could put it.

In any event, even if it is socket, this is of course a SURMOUNTABLE
obstacle.  It's a little bit risky, but if you have a bit of
electronics assembly experience it should be doable.

I suspect that the biggest issue you should consider is whether there
is a CMOS version of the V30 available.  If not, then the
non-CMOS V30 you add will add a significant power drain to the
system.   Will the system still run on battery?  Maybe, I'd
think.  On AC?  Probably, I'd think..