[comp.sys.laptops] Color Laptops

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (04/12/90)

In article <3075@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, cs472309@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 472/03011) writes:
> Does anyone have any information on color laptops?  How good are they?

I just spoke with a laptop store in Framingham, MA about this - they
said they have a Sharp '386 laptop for $9 (nine) K, and few customers
lining up for anything over $2,500.  I didn't see it - he said it's
terrific, true VGA res.

PC Week this week rumours a '486, 8-hr. battery-life, 15-lb with Sharp
VGA color display (non-LCD) this summer - list $7,500, American-made (JKL).

Other articles report wave off introductions in the fall.

cs472309@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 472/03011) (04/14/90)

>Does anyone have any information on color laptops?  How good are they?
>I am thinking of purchasing one and I would like to know if the tech-
>nology is still too new.  Any responses would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who responded about the color laptops.  It looks
like I will be waiting for a while before I buy any.  The magazine
articles were very helpful and confirmed that the colors are washed
out and there is room for improvement.  Also, as some other people
pointed out they are very expensive.  From what I've read, I would
recommend that anyone considering purchasing a color laptop may want
to wait until they are more reasonably priced and offer better color
capabilities.  Thanks again for the info.

  Mike Reese -- University of Maryland Baltimore County

  Please send mail to:  ARPANET - MZR@DETRICK-HSC.ARMY.MIL (26.6.0.54)
                                  REESEM@ILCN-DETRICK.ARPA (26.5.0.54)