[comp.sys.laptops] Portable MIDI

whitten@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/04/90)

In article <23540@cc.usu.edu>, SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:
> In article <893@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, swood@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Scott Wood) writes:
>> Regarding the portfolio, I have been looking at those little things as a
>> roamer computer for me to use when I am away from the terminals at school.
>> Unfortunately, I also need a few other functions out of any computer I get
>> at this time.  One of them is to get a computer with which I could run MIDI
>> software (thus saving me all kinds of money on a Q80 sequencer I have been
>> looking at buying to go with my K1 II synthesizer).
>
> Given that the serial port is not hardware compatible with a PC and that the
> IBM ROM BIOS does not allow you to set the baud rate to the really strange
> one used by MIDI, I seriously doubt that any PC MIDI sequencer would have
> a chance of running on the Portfolio.

Yeah.  What you really need to pick up is the STacy.  They're already
available in many larger music stores as "portable midi."  It's basically
a portable Atari ST.  Except the I think the current version being sold
has more memory and a internal hard drive.  All of which are pretty much
needed if you plan on doing any midi projects of length.

Thanks,
Chris
 WHITTEN@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU              Chris Whittenburg, Univ. of Kansas
 WHITTEN@UKANVAX.bitnet                        Electrical Engineering