[comp.sys.laptops] Printers for T1000SE ???

maybe@igloo.scum.com (Jordan Gottlieb) (05/03/90)

I have seen one laptop printer other than the Diconix and that is the
Toshiba 301 (or something like that).  It is slower than the Diconix, but
print is much nicher.  Instead of inkjet, it is thermal transfer.  NOTE:
You don't need thermal paper... Heat is used to put the ink on the paper.
The quality is excellent and it is silent.  It is about the same price
as the diconix but is slightly taller.  It runs on batteries as well.
It is a tought choice between the two!

maybe

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/04/90)

In article <2345@igloo.scum.com>, maybe@igloo.scum.com (Jordan Gottlieb) writes:
> I have seen one laptop printer other than the Diconix and that is the ...

Not to forget the Hewlett-Packard ThinkJet.  Available in mains-powered
serial and parallel, and battery-powered parallel and HP-IL.  I have one each
of the first and the fourth (price was right :-) ), and have been happy with'm.
Weight -- six pounds, give or take; price -- list at around 500, EduCalc at
around 400; used from a reliable commercial source, roughly 250-300;
used from a seller in a bind, maybe 100, maybe more, maybe less.

(The ink cartridges I bought labeled DICONIX are in fact made by HP and fit
perfectly in my ThinkJets, so what difference, if any, is there between the
TJ and the D printers?)

-- Fred E.J. Linton	<FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU>	<fejlinton@mcimail.com>

phr@premenos.premenos.COM (Paul Rubin) (05/05/90)

In article <2345@igloo.scum.com> maybe@igloo.scum.com (Jordan Gottlieb) writes:

   I have seen one laptop printer other than the Diconix and that is the
   Toshiba 301 (or something like that).  It is slower than the Diconix, but
   print is much nicher.  Instead of inkjet, it is thermal transfer.  NOTE:
   You don't need thermal paper... Heat is used to put the ink on the paper.
   The quality is excellent and it is silent.  It is about the same price
   as the diconix but is slightly taller.  It runs on batteries as well.
   It is a tought choice between the two!

You mean the Toshiba Expresswriter 301.  It is somewhat more expensive
than the Diconix (discounted), considerably bulkier, and 3 times as
slow as the Diconix in draft mode.  (In letter quality mode, it is
still somewhat slower.  The Toshiba has no draft mode).  Although the
print quality is a bit nicer (I would not say "much nicer"), its
thermal printing process involves melting some kind of opaque wax onto
the paper that then flakes off.  I looked at one of these when I was
shopping for a printer and decided the Diconix won hands down.

BVAUGHAN@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Barbara Vaughan) (05/08/90)

In article <PHR.90May5160620@premenos.premenos.COM>, phr@premenos.premenos.COM (Paul Rubin) writes:

>In article <2345@igloo.scum.com> maybe@igloo.scum.com (Jordan Gottlieb) writes:
>
>   I have seen one laptop printer other than the Diconix and that is the
>   Toshiba 301 (or something like that).
>   ...                    Instead of inkjet, it is thermal transfer.
>You mean the Toshiba Expresswriter 301.  It is somewhat more expensive
>than the Diconix (discounted), considerably bulkier, and 3 times as
>slow as the Diconix in draft mode.

Another candidate for a 'laptop printer' is the Hewlett-Packard Thinkjet
or the Thinkjet Plus.  I have the former, and have been well satisfied
with it for home use.  It's very quiet, takes very little space and
the quality of print (both graphics and text) is acceptable for most
purposes.  I have been told that internally it's indistinguishable from
the Diconix, so maybe you should get whichever is cheaper.

Barbara Vaughan