[comp.sys.laptops] T1000SE questions

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (03/11/90)

I'm very nearly ready to purchase a T1000SE.  In the March 13 _PC_Magazine_
(the one that tests 73 laptops, the entire magazine devoted to laptops),
on page 407, a New York City company, "S & W Computers and Electronics"
advertises a T1000SE for $999 (!) US (Gosh, I hope it's not a misprint.)
Has anyone ever heard of this company?

	Unrelated:  how loud is the keyboard on a T1000SE?  Would it be
acceptably quiet in a classroom taking notes?

--
"C is a language that provides you plenty of rope.  You will likely end up
getting seriously tangled in it if you're not careful." -- CSRI C intro.

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (03/11/90)

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>I'm very nearly ready to purchase a T1000SE.  In the March 13 _PC_Magazine_
>(the one that tests 73 laptops, the entire magazine devoted to laptops),
>on page 407, a New York City company, "S & W Computers and Electronics"
>advertises a T1000SE for $999 (!) US (Gosh, I hope it's not a misprint.)
>Has anyone ever heard of this company?

For anyone interested in calling S&W:
S & W Computers & Electronics
31 West 21st Street (Between 5th & 6th)
New York, NY  10010
800-874-6779

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Is George Bush a traitor? Read "October Surprise" by Honegger. Send for details.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (05/08/90)

In article <24345@netnews.upenn.edu> wickert@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Dave Wickert) asks:
> #1 -- Regarding the 2Mb expansion memory board.  What is the effect on the
>       battery life?  Is it cut down significant?  or a little bit?  Can
>       anyone comment?
> #2 -- Regarding the XE's 20Mb hard disk.  What is its effect on the battery
>       life?  Is there a way to disable it so that when you are using just
>       the RAMdisk, the hard disk is not drawing battery power?  It would
>       be reasonable if I used batteries with the RAM disk --- and limited
>       using the hard disk to only (well.. only most of the time) when
>       AC is available.
>
> Does anyone have both?  Like a XE with 2Mb expansion and a external
> floppy?

[Note: I've just returned from a four-week vacation, so don't worry if I
 haven't answered mail lately. I'm still here, happily hugging my T1000XE :-)]

As to #1, I have no personal experience (I don't feel like spending $800 for
a memory upgrade), but from talking to Toshiba techies I'd say that the 2MB
upgrade will drag you down from about 3 hours typical use (with 1MB) to
about 2 hours (maybe a little less). Nothing another battery can't cure; if
you can afford the memory upgrade, $60 for another battery won't hurt much.
Remember that you can switch them on the fly (without shutting down your
program - a ten second interruption).

One more concern, though: in resume mode (standby) with the 2MB upgrade, the
machine must keep three times as much RAM alive. This will cut effective
use time for resume mode down to a third (maybe less, considering the chips
they use for the upgrade). Resume mode will empty a freshly charged T1000SE
with 1MB in about a week (to be on the safe side). With the upgrade, you may
be down to two or three days. Buyer beware.

For #2, the harddrive can be set to automatically spin down after five minutes
of no use. I've just exchanged my T1000SE for a T1000XE last week, so I can't
give you definite numbers yet, but my first (preliminary) impression is that
you don't lose much in normal use. I'm using Framework III with the internal
cache set to minimum size, so every other function goes to disk for an overlay;
yet I still get between two and three hours; pretty much as with the 'ole SE.
And boy does it fly with a harddrive! You'll never drag me back to the floppy
version.

As a point of personal opinion, I'd rather get the T1000XE with 1MB than the
T1000SE with 3MB. It's cheaper (by about $150 I think), gives you 20MB rather
than 2.3MB online storage, safer data (not lost when you run out of backup
battery power), and it seems to be easier on the battery too(!). Unless you
have very unusual disk access patterns, you won't feel much of a difference
in response time (25ms hard disk). If you absolutely need a floppy drive,
get their new 3.5" 1.44MB external floppy (it's powered from the computer
and has a separate port).

BTW, has anybody done a review of the T1000XE while I was away? Anybody
interested? I could do a review of the SE/XE combo from my old notes pretty
easily.
  -- perry
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry

wcalvin@milton.acs.washington.edu (William Calvin) (05/08/90)

From wcalvin@milton.u.washington.edu Tue May  8 08:53:08 1990
Date: Tue, 8 May 90 08:53:00 -0700
From: William Calvin <wcalvin@milton.u.washington.edu>
To: wcalvin
Subject: 1000zxe

Haven't noticed my 2Mb RAMdisk reducing the battery life very much; still
up around 2.5-3hr, maybe because I don't use the disk as much anymore.
        You cannot switch batteries on the fly (you must power down first,
or you will lose your hardRAM contents) but 10-15 seconds is about right.
        Big problem with the 1000XE is the travel backup requiring a
disk somehow (LAPlink to a desktop, or carry around the 3.5" add-on); if
you never travel for more than a few days....

  William H. Calvin, University of Washington NJ-15, Seattle WA 98195 USA
  wcalvin@u.washington.edu         Favorite books on brains and evolution
  (probably because I wrote them myself):  _The Cerebral Symphony_
  (Bantam 1989); _The River that Flows Uphill_ (Sierra Club Books 1987).

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (05/09/90)

How much do you miss not having an internal floppy on the T1000XE?
What is the cost of the external floppy? Is the external floppy an
1.44M? How can you back up your HD without having a floppy?

Michael Volow, Durham, NC 919 286 0411
mvolo@ecsvax.edu