[comp.sys.laptops] Info on KODAK Diconics Pronter ???

a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) (05/24/90)

> perry@key.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1929@key.COM>
>
> Org.  : Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont
> Person: Perry The Cynic
>
> Be careful: there are two Diconics printers out, the 150 and 150+ (plus).
> They differ mainly in the type of printer emulation they do (the 150+
> is supposed to be fully Epson FX(?) compatible). The 150 has gone down in
> price
> substantially since the 150+ has come out. D.A.K., as usual, is selling the
> old one without mentioning the new one's existence.

In all the adds I have seen they HAVE clearly stated the fact that
the price break is due to the release of the new 150+.  The older
150 model IS Epson FX compatible, as well.

Have you been having some difficulty with D.A.K. that we should
know about, Perry?

Bruce A.  From MINDLINK, CANADA!

calhoun@mcnc.org (John D. Calhoun) (05/25/90)

In article <1929@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:

>Be careful: there are two Diconics printers out, the 150 and 150+ (plus).
>.......................................... D.A.K., as usual, is selling the
>old one without mentioning the new one's existence. Not that it's necessarily
>a bad deal; I'm just irked by their implied claim that they sell the
>latest and greatest, when in fact they cut special deals on phase-out
>merchandise.

"The Cynic" may be just that, but he doesn't have his facts straight.
Makes one wonder about his motives.  If you contact D.A.K. and request
their catalog, you will see that the ad clearly states he got the
150's from Kodak to closeout because of their new 150+.  I don't recall
whether he says anything about Epson emulation, but he does mention
the 150 has a different casing and that its inkjet cartridge needs you
to use special paper to get a good print.  He also says that you can
put the 150+ cartridges in the 150.

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (05/26/90)

In article <1929@key.COM> perry@arkon.key.COM (Perry The Cynic) writes:
>In article <1798@mindlink.UUCP> a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) writes:
>> I bought a DICONIX printer for $245.00 US from D.A.K. Industries.
>D.A.K., as usual, is selling the
>old one without mentioning the new one's existence. Not that it's necessarily
>a bad deal; I'm just irked by their implied claim that they sell the
>latest and greatest, when in fact they cut special deals on phase-out
>merchandise.

Uh, no.  DAK said that they got a great deal because the newer one came
out.  "And all it has is a few more fonts."  Or some such thing.

And lots of their ads tout great bargains because they're closeouts.  At
least their catalog (which seems to be all their ads bound together) is
that way.  In general I only see the catalog (I don't know why they keep
sending it; I've never bought anything from them) so maybe their magazine
ads etc. are different.

>By all means post a description of the printer. I'd think that the handling
>and hardware features are the same for both models,

There is one other difference, however, that the DAK catalog didn't mention.
The 150 is primarily designed for single-sheet feeding.  The 150+ has a
tractor feed that you can use when the top cover is closed (the 150 has one,
but you have to open the lid).  It's strange that DAK didn't mention that; to
me it's the most important detail.  Maybe just me...
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (05/27/90)

In article <1888@mindlink.UUCP> a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) writes:
>In all the adds I have seen they HAVE clearly stated the fact that
>the price break is due to the release of the new 150+.  The older
>150 model IS Epson FX compatible, as well.
>Bruce A.  From MINDLINK, CANADA!

True.  However, DAK just mentions something about "extra lights on the
front panel" of the 150 Plus without mentioning what features, if any,
were added.  Does anybody know fer sure?  NLQ mode, maybe?

Anyway, local dealers have the 150 Plus for $299, so the DAK deal may
not be so great, after all...

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "The driver says, 'One more cup of coffee and I'll be all right...'
  'Pop a Bennie, another Bennie'..."             - The Bobs, "Bus Plunge"

perry@key.COM (Perry The Cynic) (05/29/90)

In article <2213@speedy.mcnc.org> calhoun@mcnc.org.UUCP (John D. Calhoun) writes:
> "The Cynic" may be just that, but he doesn't have his facts straight.
> Makes one wonder about his motives.  If you contact D.A.K. and request
> their catalog, you will see that the ad clearly states he got the
> 150's from Kodak to closeout because of their new 150+.  I don't recall
> whether he says anything about Epson emulation, but he does mention
> the 150 has a different casing and that its inkjet cartridge needs you
> to use special paper to get a good print.  He also says that you can
> put the 150+ cartridges in the 150.

Oops. Open mouth, remove foot, close mouth. I just rechecked my DAK catalog
(yep, I'm on their mailing list), and you're right and I'm wrong. My apologies.
Yes, he explains things in reasonable details. He claims that the 150 (non-plus)
does Epson emulation. I'm told by a sales person that there are serious
differences in the emulation between the two models, but I haven't confirmed it
with Kodak. As far as I know, the question of cartridges is independent from
which printer you use; they are supposed to be compatible in that respect.

As for my motives, I'll admit to reservations about DAK's way of pitching its
wares. Headlines of "Instand Insight And Understanding" (for an electronic
bible) tend to make me suspicious, and "Imagine your richest thoughts flowing
magically from your brain, through your fingertips into your computer" (for a
typing tutor) make it hard to take him serious. His products are sometimes
quite nice, but his hype... of course that's no excuse for spreading mis-
information. Again, sorry.
  -- perry

P.S.: Both quotes taken from the DAK "Early Summer 90" catalog, pages 8 and 41
      respectively. That's the one I hold in my hand right now; the others are
      pretty much in the same vein.
Perry The Cynic (Peter Kiehtreiber)		       perry@arkon.key.com
** What good signature isn't taken yet? **  {amdahl,sgi,pacbell}!key!perry

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/30/90)

In article <1798@mindlink.UUCP> a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) writes:
>I bought a DICONIX printer for $245.00 US from D.A.K. Industries.
>It works excellent, and with the ability to print on ordinary paper
>(the old one needed special paper) it is ideal.

The original poster requested info with a MAC hookup (fonts, etc).

I am not a MAC user, but was made aware that there is a SPECIAL
VERSION of the Diconix for MAC applications, with (of course :-) )
a higher price that the standard version.  I believe that the extra
cost is associated with the different interface & the fonts ...
but don't take my word for it ... just beware of the different
versions.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr