[comp.sys.laptops] BONDWELL LAPTOP

greg.trice@canremote.uucp (GREG TRICE) (05/26/90)

I have a Bondwell-2 laptop that's now 4 years old. Generally speaking I
like it, except for the display. This is a first-generation TN LCD and
has very poor contrast and viewing angle. Has anybody successfully
replaced a display like this with a modern backlit supertwist LCD?
Looking in the data sheets there does not seem to be much difference
electrically, and there is just about enough room behind the display to
get a rather slim backlight in. Unfortunately I can't just replace the
computer as a whole as it was a unique design (with a Zilog CPU) and as
far as I know there is no current laptop available that's remotely
software compatible.

rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) (05/28/90)

greg.trice@canremote.uucp (GREG TRICE) writes:

=I have a Bondwell-2 laptop that's now 4 years old. Generally speaking I
=like it, except for the display. This is a first-generation TN LCD and
=has very poor contrast and viewing angle.
=.....
=Unfortunately I can't just replace the
=computer as a whole as it was a unique design (with a Zilog CPU) and as
=far as I know there is no current laptop available that's remotely
=software compatible.

Is THIS the Bondwell model that DAK is selling?
If it is, it doesnt sound too good.  But DAK advertises lots of
(outofdate) software like Wordstar.  What is so incompatible about
the Bondwell. ?

v118hj3d@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Anthony M Petro) (05/30/90)

In article <18180@well.sf.ca.us>, rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) writes...
>greg.trice@canremote.uucp (GREG TRICE) writes:
>
>=I have a Bondwell-2 laptop that's now 4 years old. Generally speaking I
>=like it, except for the display. This is a first-generation TN LCD and
>=has very poor contrast and viewing angle.
>=.....
>=Unfortunately I can't just replace the
>=computer as a whole as it was a unique design (with a Zilog CPU) and as
>=far as I know there is no current laptop available that's remotely
>=software compatible.
>
>>Is THIS the Bondwell model that DAK is selling?
>>If it is, it doesnt sound too good.  But DAK advertises lots of
>>(outofdate) software like Wordstar.  What is so incompatible about
>>the Bondwell. ?

nope, dak is actually offering a rather competitive machine- 286, 1MB 80ns
ram and 20MB disk for $1299.

i ordered one.  be prepared for a long backorder.  my question: does anyone
know if bondwell will offer a display upgrade through someplace like Sears
(a distributor) or dealers?  i'm not about to sit around and wait for someone
to start offering the B310+ for $1300.

anthony m. petro   "beethoven"    i can say what i want; i'm just an undergrad
V118HJ3D@UBVMSD.BITNET            "soon the gypsy queen in a glaze of Vaseline
petro@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu         will perform on guillotine; what a scene,
..!uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!petro   what a scene..."