[comp.sys.laptops] Diconix Review

a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) (05/28/90)

All your points, Isaac, are well taken.  I bought the 150 knowing
what the shortfalls were, and am happy.  The MAIN feature is the
portability and quietness.  I was also glad I ordered some extra
cartridges because mine came packed with the "special paper" type
as well.

Bruce A.    MindLink!  Canada.

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (05/28/90)

a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) writes:

>THE DICONIX 150 INKJET PRINTER from KODAK
>(blah blah blah)

You ought to mention that you were reviewing a discontinued product.
The source you gave (DAK) sells only remaindered 150s, while most
computer stores sell 150+s.  DAK claims that the newer "any paper"
ink cartridges work with the 150 as well as they do with the 150+
(which is true) and that otherwise there are only superficial
differences between the two models (which I haven't had a chance
to verify), but people are still entitled to know what they're
getting.

Incidentally, DAK claims that the printer comes with a any-paper
cartidge pre-installed.  Mine came with a "special ink jet paper"
ink cartridge, and it wasn't installed.  Fortunately I also ordered
a couple of replacement cartridges at the same time, which were the
later type.

DAK also says that there's no need to use special paper with this
printer.  Well there's no *need*, but I discovered that if I printed
on the special inkjet (meaning, clay coated) paper that came with the
printer, I actually got print quality good enough to use in correspondence.
This is actually a bonus, since I orderd the printer in the believe
that it only did "near letter quality" (meaning, draft quality, but
darker).  The special paper is hard to find, though.

It's also worth mentioning that the Diconix dots are slightly smaller
than those of the printers it emulates, so both text and graphics
come out slightly smaller.

Also, because the tractor feed is built into the platen (only way to
make such a small printer with a tractor, I guess), the right tractor
isn't very adjustable.  So there's no way to print very narrow forms
except through friction feed.  And friction feed only really works
with single sheets.  *And* it only feeds from behind, so single-sheet
is something of a pain.

Still in all, it's as portable as toothbrush and essentially noiseless,
which were the factors that made me buy it.  But musclebound rock
music fans might want to consider spending the same amount (DAK 150
price) for a good 24 pin, high-resolution printer.  Or a little more
for a good HP 300 dpi printer with memory.  Or a *lot* less for a
9-pin impact printer.

>  Changing the head is a breeze, with no
>mess or troubles.
I didn't find it so.  The obscure and misleading instructions didn't help.
Maybe now that I know what goes where, it'll be easier.

>Interfacing is handled via a Centronics 8-Bit Parallel or a RS-232-C
>Serial cabling.
And it seems that what interface you choose partially determines the
kind of printing you can do.  Parallel printers can't do condensed
type.  Serial can't do script.  The manual doesn't say why.

>AVAILABILITY:  DAK INDUSTRIES INC.           Tech Info: 1-800-888-9818
>               8200 Remmet Avenue,           Inquiries: 1-800-888-7808
>               Canoga Park, California       24 Hrs/7 Days a Week
>               91304
>INKJET CARTRIDGES                    $ 12.90
You might mention DAK's claim that these cartridges also work in HP
printers.
>5 NI CAD BATTERIES                   $ 19.80  (Available Everywhere)
In 2-battery packages!
>STANDARD PARALLEL CABLE              $  9.80
Which DAK seems permanently out of stock on.  I finally canceled their
back order and got one elsewhere.  Not impressive for someone trying
to branch out from remainered electronics to discount computers!

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (05/29/90)

a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) writes:

>  I was also glad I ordered some extra
>cartridges because mine came packed with the "special paper" type
>as well.

For that matter, I hope I can find some reasonably priced "special
paper" so I can use the Diconix for correspondence and junk my
daisy-wheel printer.  Yes, I know a lot of people use medium-quality
dotmatrix for letters, but somehow I never could.

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (05/29/90)

In article <12600@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
>a551@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Arabsky) writes:
>
>>  I was also glad I ordered some extra
>>cartridges because mine came packed with the "special paper" type
>>as well.
>
>For that matter, I hope I can find some reasonably priced "special
>paper" so I can use the Diconix for correspondence and junk my
>daisy-wheel printer.  Yes, I know a lot of people use medium-quality
>dotmatrix for letters, but somehow I never could.

Well, I am trying to go to the direction that Isaac is going.  I have
"plain paper" cartridge installed and I have tried it on "good quality"
printer paper, single sheet bond paper, etc., but I did not like what I
saw.  The quality is not acceptable as NLQ.  Maybe I was not using the
right kind of "plain paper" !  Any idea ?

On the other hand, I have tried the same "plain paper" cartridge on
special inkjet printer paper and I think it is great !  I can image
that if I buy an "original" inkjet cartridge and use it on this
special paper, the result should be very good !!!

So, I think the lesson is: Do not expect miracle from the "plain
paper cartridge" and plain paper combo.  But, again, I may not be
using the right kind of "plain paper" !!!

Oh, well !

Patrick Wong

pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (05/30/90)

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) writes:

>Well, I am trying to go to the direction that Isaac is going.  I have
>"plain paper" cartridge installed and I have tried it on "good quality"
>printer paper, single sheet bond paper, etc., but I did not like what I
>saw.  The quality is not acceptable as NLQ.  Maybe I was not using the
>right kind of "plain paper" !  Any idea ?

One way to get better print quality is using paper with a clay coating.
I'm pretty sure that's what "Ink Jet Paper" is.  I gather Diconix
stopped pushing special paper when they came out with a new ink that's
absorbed more readily.  I've had some trouble finding such paper, but
I haven't checked the really professional stationers yet.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (05/31/90)

In article <12634@netcom.UUCP>, ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) writes:
> One way to get better print quality is using paper with a clay coating.
> I'm pretty sure that's what "Ink Jet Paper" is.  I gather Diconix
> stopped pushing special paper when they came out with a new ink that's
> absorbed more readily.  I've had some trouble finding such paper, but
> I haven't checked the really professional stationers yet.
	I recently bought some Diconix ink cartridges at a good price at
a Computerland distress sale, and -- guess what? -- once you unpack 'em they
bear the HP logo.  What's more, they work perfectly in my HP ThinkJet.
	My experience with HP ThinkJet, in a nutshell: used ones turn up
for under $100.-; there are at least two battery-operated sorts, one with
parallel interface, one with HP-IL (current loop) interface -- and three
mains-powered sorts (one serial, one parallel, one HP-IB [yes, "eye-bee"].
        A tad larger and a tad heavier than Diconix, they have very much the
same functionality (fixed left sprocket, slightly adjustable right sprocket
set for standard 9-1/2" perf paper, able to accept 8-1/2" paper while
perf paper is in place, willing to print "nlq draft" and "emphasized", with
or w/o underlining, at standard (80 char/line), narrow (142 char/line),
expanded (40 char/line), and narrow expanded (71 char/line) print pitches,
etc.).
    	The plainpaper ink cartridge prints darker on any particular paper
than does the original ink cartridge, but both work at least reasonably well
on both Tandy and HP Inkjet paper, and not at all well on nonabsorbent paper
(onion skin, "Corasable (tm) bond", my University's high-quality 100% rag
letterhead :-( ).  Basically, if the paper surface won't absorb the inklets
sprayed on it, they'll easily let themselves get rubbed around and smudge
(they dry quite slowly, it seems -- I'm told ethylene glycol is a major
ingredient in the ink).
	ThinkJets list for circa $500; Educalc's catalog quotes them at
circa $400, with selected used ones for under $300; ElekTek and 47th Street
Photo quote perhaps slightly lower prices; but (see above) one can do better.
I've been happy with mine (one serial mainspowered, one HP-IL battery-driven
part of a used HP 110 I bought not too long ago).
    	BTW: can anyone out there help me get the HP 110 to send escape
sequences either direct to its HP-IL printer port or to a MemoMaker (tm) file?
If so, thanks for your help.
-- Fred <FLinton@eagle.Wesleyan.EDU> <attmail!fejlinton> <414-2427@mcimail.com>