[comp.sys.laptops] Casio BOSS & Sharp Wizard

biocca@bevb.bev.lbl.gov (Alan Biocca) (06/29/90)

I've been following the thread here recently on the Casio BOSS.  Looking
around in nearby stores has produced many Sharp Wizards but no Casio's.
How do the units compare?  Are there others I should look at?

Alan K Biocca

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (06/30/90)

>I've been following the thread here recently on the Casio BOSS.  Looking
>around in nearby stores has produced many Sharp Wizards but no Casio's.
>How do the units compare?  Are there others I should look at?
>Alan K Biocca

I bought a BOSS because it will fit in my shirt pocket. The Wizard will
not. A secondary consideration is the BOSS has a QWERTY keyboard while
the Wizard has an alphabetic keyboard. Ergonomically, neither layout
is good but at least most people already know the QWERTY layout.
If you want programmability, the SF-9000 BOSS has ROM packs just like
the Wizard. The BOSS is also cheaper.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/30/90)

In article <6060@helios.ee.lbl.gov> biocca@bevb.bev.lbl.gov (Alan Biocca) writes:
>I've been following the thread here recently on the Casio BOSS.  Looking
>around in nearby stores has produced many Sharp Wizards but no Casio's.
>How do the units compare?  Are there others I should look at?

The BOSS is sold by various names (and numbers).  Mine is a 7500, there
is an 8500, 9000, etc.  They differ slightly in size and features, as
well as memory.  Some have 32K, some have 64K.  The 9000 takes ROM cards
with special features like spelling checkers.

Casio's are sold under the the Tandy name by Radio Shack.

The Casio has a much larger screen than the Wizard.

--
William Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division, Bedford Inst. of Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2.  Tel. (902)426-1577

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (07/03/90)

Could somebody give me the names of mail-order suppliers and prices for:

  The Casio BOSS -- 7500, 8500, sf9000 and/or their Radio Shack equvalents
  Atari Portfolio

I would like to compare prices in the UK and the US, and I don't know the
US prices.

many thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Purcell ................................... kpurcell @ liverpool.ac.uk
\ Surface Science      \ Stepwise Refinement n.  A ordered set of kludges K,
 \ Liverpool University \ neither distinct or finite, applied to a program P
  \ Liverpool L69 3BX    \ aimed at transforming it into the target program Q.