[comp.sys.laptops] Poqet PC

ianf@nada.kth.se (Ian Feldman) (04/13/90)

  Accordingly to fresh press reports (not press-releases) the first
  Poquet PC has been delivered to a computer-magazine writer in UK
  last week. It has been officially launched at the Hannover Fair
  and sports a price tag of GBP 1595.- for the main unit, GBP 395.- (?)
  for a companion same-size disk-drive-with-power-supply unit.  Pictures
  (in Computer Weekly, a UK compurag) showed also the left-hand side
  slot for the 512KB RAM cards.  Accordingly to article both the ROM
  and RAM cards that fit in there have 64 "pins" in some kind of Japanese-
  industry approved pinout.  There was also a mention of 2MB cards being
 "in the works".

  Has the Poquet appeared yet in the States?  Prices?  Impressions?

--Ian Feldman  /  ianf%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net <--- the only safe route
              / "observe the emacs-style expression-dash-misuse"

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (06/11/90)

> The only way to use the very small QWERTY keyboard is with the index
> finger of each hand.

That really depends on your finger size.  I think it's about 7/8's
scale.  I can touch type on it, but would not want to do so for
extended periods.  The postive key action (it takes some force)
combined with the short key travel (compared with "real" keyboards,
anyway), makes for sore fingers after a while.  For short usage, the
thing I found most annoying was that the space bar must be hit
directly from above, so you can't lay your thumbs on the bottom edge
of the case.  Rather, they have to be up crowding your fingers.

Aside from the keyboard, it's quite nice.  The most impressive part is
that they managed to have a legible display with such low power
consumption.

Poqet's have been available in computer stores here (Connecting Point,
Computerland) since the middle of March.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			6 Trillium Lane
Stanford University				San Carlos, CA 94070
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-9127

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (06/12/90)

In article <JIM.90Jun10115021@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) writes:

>        I can touch type on it, but would not want to do so for
>extended periods.  The postive key action (it takes some force)
>combined with the short key travel (compared with "real" keyboards,
>anyway), makes for sore fingers after a while.  For short usage, the
>thing I found most annoying was that the space bar must be hit
>directly from above, .......

Under each key, there is a rubber cup which I guess is to protect the
contact and to provide the only spring action (?).  In fact, for
every key you must hit right in the middle. The rubber is too resilient.
The cup should be designed to have better snap action.  The thin
key pads are held in position with only two hooks, one one each side.
For normal keyboards, the keys are refrained from moving sideway
or wobbling, but the Poqet's are not.  As a result of all these,
typing on Poqet is difficult and inconsistent.  As I mentioned in
my previous article, it is a pain.  Under the space bar there are
two rubber cups.  If you hit it in the middle, you have to hit twice
as hard.  You may have to change your typing habit by hitting the
space bar twice as hard or hit near one end.  This may not be easy
if you are using all kind of keyboards.  I hope others have
other and better suggestions.  We may want to collect these suggestions
and send them to Poqet for future improvements.  Otherwise the
Poqet is a very neat machine (or toy).

Charles S. Ih
302-451-8173

lfog@PacBell.COM (Lee Fogel) (07/04/90)

Does anyone have any information/experience with a new
*truly* portable laptop called the Poqet PC?  It looks like
the next step in portable PC's.  Here's a quote from the
broshure:

"The Poqet PC is a full-fledged MS-DOS PC.  It has 512K of RAM
and 640K of ROM... It has a full-function keybard and an
80-character by 25-line display.  And it can run up to 100
[yes, one-hundred] hours on just two AA alkaline batteries...
it's about the size of a videocassette.  And it weighs around
a pound."

Other features:
CMOS Microprocessor: 80C88 running up to 7 MHz.
RS-232C serial port (allows 119 BPS).
Supports CGA and MDA modes.
I/O expansion bus.
Two slots for RAM or ROM memory cards.
Some ROM-resident software is included (file transfer, calculator, etc.)
Runs Lotus, WordPerfect, ACT!, Lucid 3-D and other DOS3.3 applications.
12 function keys, embedded keypad.  The keyboard is almost full sized.
Peripherals include a 3.5 inch, 1.44MB disk drive operating on 4 AA
batteries, Serial and Parallel cables.

I was quoted a price of $2000.  Has anyone actually seen one?

Lee

hburford@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (07/06/90)

lfog@PacBell.COM (Lee Fogel) writes:

>Does anyone have any information/experience with a new
>*truly* portable laptop called the Poqet PC?  It looks like
>the next step in portable PC's.  Here's a quote from the
>broshure:

*** text deleted ***

>I was quoted a price of $2000.  Has anyone actually seen one?

>Lee

Yes, I saw one at Spring COMDEX and also at PC/EXPO.   They had
a booth set up where you could go up and actually touch one.
Call 800-624-8999 X-1590 and they will tell you where you can
get them.  My local dealer is in Joplin, MO.  They indicated that
they would sell me a unit at $1635 (less for 5+ qtys) with about
4 to 5 day delivery.  I saw the 3.5" 1.4Meg flex drive at the
shows, too.  It runs 5 hours on 4-AA batteries.    The dealer
said that it hasn't been released yet and they were not able to
get them.     There has also been some talk in the magazines about
Fujitsu starting to Mfg. the Poqet.   With more efficient mfg., then
I would expect prices to drop.

1. The display is very readable, but I wouldn't want to read it for
   very long.   Very flat aspect ratio.   Not 1:1.
2. Keyboard is small but usable.   I saw most folks at the show
   using their 2 index fingers to type on it.    I could do a
   slow touch type.
3. I would wait for the disk drive to be REALLY available in order
   to avoid the 'Zenith Syndrome'.  If you remember, Zenith
   abandoned all support for their Z-181 as they changed direction
   on their products.
4. I wouldn't expect that other 'palm top' manufacturers are going
   to sit around and wait.  Atari surely must have something in
   the works to replace their DOS 2.11 portable.   I expect to see
   some competition eventually (Sharp and Casio, too)

I'd sure like to read some user reports.   Anyone got one yet?

--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE:316-636-8016  TELEX:417-465  FAX:316-636-8889    CALL:KA0TTY

mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) (07/09/90)

In article <7741@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> lfog@PacBell.COM (Lee Fogel) writes:
> Does anyone have any information/experience with a new
> *truly* portable laptop called the Poqet PC?  It looks like
> the next step in portable PC's.  Here's a quote from the
> broshure:
>
> "The Poqet PC is a full-fledged MS-DOS PC.  It has 512K of RAM
> and 640K of ROM... It has a full-function keybard and an
> 80-character by 25-line display.  And it can run up to 100
> [yes, one-hundred] hours on just two AA alkaline batteries...
> it's about the size of a videocassette.  And it weighs around
> a pound."

I don't want to start sounding like a salesman for Atari, but the
Portfolio offers most of what the Poquet offers for a whole lot less. It
contains a clone of MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM and will run "very well-behaved"
MS-DOS programs. Its full-function keyboard is superb, offering
relatively long-travel keys and an optional keyclick. Its 40-character
by 8-line display is very readable and can optionally be setup as a
moving window over an 80X25 virtual screen. The Portfolio runs for 4 to
6 weeks (with HEAVY usage) on 3 AA batteries. It's virtually the same
size as the Poquet and weighs just under a pound.

> Other features:
> CMOS Microprocessor: 80C88 running up to 7 MHz.
> RS-232C serial port (allows 119 BPS).
> Supports CGA and MDA modes.
> I/O expansion bus.
> Two slots for RAM or ROM memory cards.
> Some ROM-resident software is included (file transfer, calculator, etc.)
> Runs Lotus, WordPerfect, ACT!, Lucid 3-D and other DOS3.3 applications.
> 12 function keys, embedded keypad.  The keyboard is almost full sized.
> Peripherals include a 3.5 inch, 1.44MB disk drive operating on 4 AA
> batteries, Serial and Parallel cables.

Portfolio features:
CMOS Microprocessor: 80C88 running at 4.92 MHz.
60-pin system expansion port supporting serial and parallel interface units
Only supports proprietary graphics mode
One slot for RAM or ROM memory cards
Terrific ROM-resident software including text editor, Lotus 1-2-3
compatible spreadsheet, address/phone directory with tone dialing,
simple calculator, very nice appointment scheduler with support for
alarms, and a simple file server application that can be used with the
parallel interface unit.
Only runs very well-behaved MS-DOS programs, but they're easy enough to
write on a PC and download to Portfolio.
No other peripherals available at this time.

> I was quoted a price of $2000.  Has anyone actually seen one?

Now for the BIGGEST advantage of the Portfolio: street price of about
$300! This makes all its limitations compared to the Poquet completely
acceptable. I've had mine for over 6 months now and carry it with me
everywhere. Would I trade it even for a Poquet? Absolutely! But since
the Poquet is over 6 times more expensive than the Portfolio, I'm very
happy with the Portfolio for the time being. Let me know when the Poquet
is only twice the price of a Portfolio and I'll buy one!

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)

lngo@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Linh D. Ngo) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.135128.4256@cbnewsj.att.com> mec@cbnewsj.att.com (michael.e.connick) writes:
>In article <7741@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> lfog@PacBell.COM (Lee Fogel) writes:
>> Does anyone have any information/experience with a new
>> *truly* portable laptop called the Poqet PC?  It looks like
>contains a clone of MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM and will run "very well-behaved"
>MS-DOS programs. Its full-function keyboard is superb, offering
>relatively long-travel keys and an optional keyclick. Its 40-character
>by 8-line display is very readable and can optionally be setup as a
>moving window over an 80X25 virtual screen. The Portfolio runs for 4 to
>6 weeks (with HEAVY usage) on 3 AA batteries. It's virtually the same
>size as the Poquet and weighs just under a pound.
>Now for the BIGGEST advantage of the Portfolio: street price of about
>$300! This makes all its limitations compared to the Poquet completely

I don't want to sound like a spokesperson for Toshiba or anything, but
my T1000 is a full IBM PC compatible computer with CGA graphics, 512K,
full-stroke keyboard, LCD 80 column text and a 3.5" drive for only
$600 student education price. I've seen it discounted for ~$550.
It only weighs 6 lbs and runs from 3-5 hours depending on drive use.
It's internal expansion capability is limited (1200/2400 modem optional).

I can see the benefits of the Portfolio: small, long battery life..
but the disadvantages: no disk drive, not totally compatible, small
keyboard, etc. are too limiting. I suppose if you had a desk-top at home,
the Portfolio would be ideal for note-taking away. Then once you got home,
you could transfer files to your desk-top.

**Disclaimer: I don't work or am affiliated with Toshiba in any way..etc..
etc.