[comp.sys.laptops] Minix & 8088 laptops

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (07/26/90)

Has anyone run Minix on a 8088 laptop?  Specifically, I'd like to know
about the Toshiba T1000SE.  If I get a T1000SE with 3 Meg, can Minix
use the extra memory at all?  Only for a RAM disk?  Or can I run
processes above 1M on an 8088?

    I have a 286, and I know that you can run processes above 1M on
an AT, but I vaguely remember hearing it can't be done on an 8088.  Is
this true?  It would be a semi-major factor if in buying if I find I
can't run more than 640K in Minix on a 8088.  (Buying == for the laptop,
I already have Minix :-) )

--
"The number of programs that can be done with the Hubble Space Telescope has
always greatly exceeded the time available for their execution, and this

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul26.014034.12359@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) writes:
>Has anyone run Minix on a 8088 laptop?  Specifically, I'd like to know
>about the Toshiba T1000SE.  If I get a T1000SE with 3 Meg, can Minix
>use the extra memory at all?  Only for a RAM disk?  Or can I run
>processes above 1M on an 8088?

Yes, I run it on a Zenith Z-184, an 8088 laptop.  It works about as well as
on my 8088 XT clone.  With stock Minix, even 1.5.10, you will only be able to
use 640K.  This is a limitation of the 8088 chip.  Without custom dirvers,
you won't even be able to use the extra memory as a RAM disk.
--
Mike Dobson, Sys Admin for      | Internet: rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil      | UUCP:   ...uunet!mimsy!nmrdc1!rdc30med