[comp.sys.laptops] Amstrad PPC640 Laptop

JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu (J.J. Lehett) (07/26/90)

      Has anyone had any experience with this laptop?  If so, I would
appreciate hearing both the pros and the cons concerning this model
as I have seen it advertised for some good prices as of late.

   Thanks in advance,

*       J.J.        *             JJL101@psuvm.bitnet              *
*                   *    Penn State Center for Academic Computing  *
*    John Lehett    *          Computational Mathematics           *

mamason@mbunix.mitre.org (Mason) (07/26/90)

In article <90206.143139JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu> JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu (J.J. Lehett) writes:

>      Has anyone had any experience with this laptop?  If so, I would
>appreciate hearing both the pros and the cons concerning this model
>as I have seen it advertised for some good prices as of late.

The ppc640 is heavy for a laptop at 11.5# and is at any rate too wide
to be considerd a "laptop" at all.  The screen is not backlit and I
would strongly recommend buying a CGA monitor for serious at home work
with the Amstrad.  If you buy a monitor you'll find that the platform
that Radio Shack sells for the Color Computer and their entry level PC
fits over the Amstrad, just.

You should be aware that the PPC640 uses flashlight batteries and if
your going use it away from AC you'll have to add in the cost of 6
rechargeable C cells and a recharger or it will eat your wallet.

On the positive side of things the width that makes the PPC too big for
a laptop allows for an AT style 101 key keyboard which is nicer than
most true laptops.  The internal modem is a nice feature which would
add a lot to the cost of other portable machines and the included
Mirror II software lets you use the PPC for telecommunications right
out of the box. I bought my PPC for $800 six months ago and considered
that a good deal.  I see Home Shopping is clearing it out at $700,
which makes it a great deal for a home computer with portability.
--
Marc A. Mason

zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz (Ross Alford) (07/27/90)

In article <90206.143139JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu>, JJL101@psuvm.psu.edu (J.J. Lehett) writes:

>       Has anyone had any experience with this laptop?  If so, I would
> appreciate hearing both the pros and the cons concerning this model
> as I have seen it advertised for some good prices as of late.

The Amstrad PPC is quite a reasonable clone of a PC/XT, with monochrome
CGA screen.  The screen is not backlit, but is contrasty enough to use.
I'd put it better than the original NEC multispeed, not quite as good
as the Toshiba T1000, for readability (but a better aspect ratio than the
T1000).  Processor is 8 MHz 8086, meaning about 2.5X as fast as a PC/XT.
Keyboard is 101 (approximately) key extended, which is nice as long as
you're not actually using the thing on your lap.  The large keyboard and
elongated shape make actual laptop use impossible.  It runs on 8 C-cell
batteries, and I've heard they will last about 6 hours.  This might be
an advantage for portable use, as it means you can carry extra batteries
and use the machine as long as you want, plus there are not the usual
problems that NiCads develop with memory and reduced useage times.  The
disadvantage, of course, is that it can cost a fortune to keep buying those
batteries.  One person I know has bought a 5AH gel-cell 12v battery, wired
a connector for it to the external DC jack on the Amstrad.  This seems
like a reasonable solution.

In conclusion:  if you want an XT clone with 2 floppies, 2400 baud modem, and
don't mind a so-so non-backlit CGA screen and a keyboard that prevents
actually using it on your lap, it's not a bad deal.

Ross Alford
zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz