[comp.sys.laptops] copy protection and laptops without floppies

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (07/23/90)

This should probably be posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc proper, but for some
reason inews refuses to acknowledge that group exists...

I have just inherited a legal copy of Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.01, along
with documentation and original system disks.

I would like to use this software on a Toshiba T1000XE, a machine with
a hard disk but with no floppy drive.  Even if it did have a floppy
drive, the software is distributed on 5" disks.

According to the documentation,

	"When you start 1-2-3, the program looks for protected files
	 that contain a special code.  The only way to copy these
	 protected files onto your hard disk is through the Install
	 program.  If you do not use the Install program to copy these
	 files onto your hard disk, you *must* insert the System Disk
	 in Drive A each time you start 1-2-3."

I can use Laplink to copy the files onto my laptop, but I'm sure it
won't be able to copy the special key-disk files.  And since I don't
have a floppy drive, it will be a bit difficult to insert the system
disk every time I use the program.

Does anybody know how to circumvent Lotus's copy-protect scheme so
that I can actually use this software.  All suggestions will be
appreciated, flames will be directed to /dev/null.  I am *NOT* trying
to pirate this software.  I am merely trying to use it.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton | Sci Systems | Huntsville, AL, USA, Planet Earth, Sol System) (07/24/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Jul23161515@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

> I have just inherited a legal copy of Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.01, along
> with documentation and original system disks.
>
> I would like to use this software on a Toshiba T1000XE, a machine with
> a hard disk but with no floppy drive.  Even if it did have a floppy
> drive, the software is distributed on 5" disks.
>
> According to the documentation,
>
> 	"When you start 1-2-3, the program looks for protected files
> 	 that contain a special code.  The only way to copy these
> 	 protected files onto your hard disk is through the Install
> 	 program.  If you do not use the Install program to copy these
> 	 files onto your hard disk, you *must* insert the System Disk
> 	 in Drive A each time you start 1-2-3."
>
> \/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com
Mike, I know this may sound rather strange, but the XE does have an external
floppy port...  See if the dealer (assuming local) or another user (again local)
has an appropriate drive, and use it to do the install to the laptop...
remove the drive when you are done, and -- Presto, installed 1-2-3..

Ok, Now for the down side:  I am not sure that the external floppy drive for
the XE is a 5 1/4 inch drive,  or if you can use one there... but, if you can
that would sound like a winner to me. Also, let me know how it works, as I am
considering a Tosh and am in a toss-up between the SE and XE.  If you can't
put real software (I know, Iknow) on to it without pain and suffering, the
XE might get knocked down a peg or 2.

BTW, This does not circumvent Lotus's copy-protection, and requires no
"insert a floppy into drive A:" ... Where's Drive A:?!?!?!?!?! problems
later on.  Good Luck with it.

--
Ed Felton                  | When you wish to produce a result by means of an
uunet!sci34hub!eng3!felton | instrument, do not allow yourself to complicate it
                           |                          -- Leonardo da Vinci
        Disclaimer: Even if I had opinions, who would want them???

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (07/25/90)

You forgot Milky Way Galaxy :-)

> In article <PORTUESI.90Jul23161515@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>
>> I have just inherited a legal copy of Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.01, along
>> with documentation and original system disks.
>>
>> I would like to use this software on a Toshiba T1000XE, a machine with
>> a hard disk but with no floppy drive.  Even if it did have a floppy
>> drive, the software is distributed on 5" disks.
>>
> Mike, I know this may sound rather strange, but the XE does have an external
> floppy port...  See if the dealer (assuming local) or another user (again local)
> has an appropriate drive, and use it to do the install to the laptop...
> remove the drive when you are done, and -- Presto, installed 1-2-3..

Yes, that would work, but I don't know anybody with a Toshiba and an
external 5" disk drive, and I don't feel okay about taking advantage
of a dealer from whom I have no intent to buy merchandise (I purchased
my T1000XE via mail-order).

There is nothing wrong with my computer.  At the risk of starting a
flame war on copy protection, I look upon it as a bug.  I'm merely
asking for a bug fix so that I can make the software work on my
computer.  I do not want special key-disk files on my hard drive.
Besides the principle of the matter (I don't want fascism encoded in
software on *my* machine), they merely invite problems in the event of
media errors, and inhibit the functioning of other software such as
disk optimizer programs.

> Ok, Now for the down side:  I am not sure that the external floppy drive for
> the XE is a 5 1/4 inch drive,  or if you can use one there... but, if you can
> that would sound like a winner to me.

The T1000XE has two floppy drive ports.  There is a port on the side
for connecting a 3.5" 1.44MB drive.  In addition, the parallel port
may be used to connect a 5" floppy drive.  I forget the density of the
5" drive, but believe it is the 1.2 MB type.

> Also, let me know how it works, as I am
> considering a Tosh and am in a toss-up between the SE and XE.  If you can't
> put real software (I know, Iknow) on to it without pain and suffering, the
> XE might get knocked down a peg or 2.

This is the first time I have had any difficulty getting something on
to my XE.  Laplink generally works so well that I don't miss having
the floppy drive.  I especially don't miss carrying the extra weight
of the floppy around.  I don't consider the difficulty of installing
copy-protected software a fault with the T1000XE in any way; rather, I
consider it a fault with the software.

The only reason I'm trying to use this software is that I got it for
free -- someone else had thrown it away.  It's not worth a lot of my
time or anything other than a small amount of money to make it work --
I use a spreadsheet for my budget, but other than that I have few uses
for it.  If I can't get this to work, I'll simply buy a copy of
Microsoft Works, which has a spreadsheet good enough for my needs.

> Ed Felton                  | When you wish to produce a result by means of an

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) (07/28/90)

Have you tried calling Lotus? They can be helpful (BELIEVE IT OR NOT!) when
dealing with a machine that has no floppy drives. They might just tell you
touch luck, but they might also send you an updated version gratis or for a
modest (10-15 dollar) fee.

Check it out!

Renee Roberts
Renee@portal.cup.com

limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) (08/02/90)

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton | Sci Systems | Huntsville, AL, USA
>In article <PORTUESI.90Jul23161515@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>
>> I have just inherited a legal copy of Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.01, along
>> with documentation and original system disks.
>>
>> I would like to use this software on a Toshiba T1000XE, a machine with
>> a hard disk but with no floppy drive.  Even if it did have a floppy
>> drive, the software is distributed on 5" disks.

The documentation that I received with my 1000XE mentions the
availability of 360K 5.25" and 1.44M 3.5" floppy drives.  the former
plugs into the FDD/prt port on the back and needs a separate power
supply while the latter plugs into the port on the right side and
draws its power from the computer.  According to local distributors
the 3.5" drive is not available yet but they can sell me a 1.2M 5.25"
drive for 1/3 the price of the original 5.25".

>> According to the documentation,
>>
>> 	"When you start 1-2-3, the program looks for protected files
>> 	 that contain a special code.  The only way to copy these
>> 	 protected files onto your hard disk is through the Install
>> 	 program.  If you do not use the Install program to copy these
>> 	 files onto your hard disk, you *must* insert the System Disk
>> 	 in Drive A each time you start 1-2-3."
>>
>> \/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

The simplest way I can think of solving this problem is to buy the
"value pack" (or something similar) that Lotus sell which allows you
to remove the copy protection from 123 v2.X once you've installed it
on a regular PC then Laplink the files to the 1000XE.  The value pack
sells for ~US$50.  Then again you could use one of the disk copiers to
break the copy protection the hard way.....

>Ok, Now for the down side:  I am not sure that the external floppy drive for
>the XE is a 5 1/4 inch drive,  or if you can use one there... but, if you can
>that would sound like a winner to me. Also, let me know how it works, as I am
>considering a Tosh and am in a toss-up between the SE and XE.  If you can't
>put real software (I know, Iknow) on to it without pain and suffering, the
>XE might get knocked down a peg or 2.

See above - you can get floppy drives - it's only a question of how
much you want to pay.  Personally I wouldn't want to travel with an
external drive since I settled on the 1000XE because of it's weight.
Why not consider the 1200XE (which has both floppy and h/disks) or the
Compaq LTE (also available with both) series if you really need a floppy
drive.

HuiLin Lim
limhl@hpsgm2.hp.com