[comp.sys.laptops] Replacing the 80C86

tnemeth@dmsadel.dms.oz (Tom Nemeth) (07/23/90)

I have heard rumours that it is possible to replace the 80C86 processor
used on many laptops with a V30, and that it has been done on a T1200
(or 1100+) in particular.  Now, this seems worthwhile, as going on my
past experience with V30s I would expect a 60% increase in performance,
but...

The V30 and 80C86 are totally different in packaging.  Can anyone tell
me (or point to an article) on physically how this was done?  Since
there is not a lot of room inside a laptop, it seems to me to be a
non-trivial problem to find a place to mount the larger chip.

Also, any info on side-effects would be appreciated - such as battery
life, clock accuracy, and other possible incompatibilities.
(Better still, is there a commercial upgrade kit?)_

Thanks in advance,
Tom Nemeth

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (07/24/90)

In article <591@dmsadel.dms.oz> tnemeth@dmsadel.adl.dms.CSIRO.AU.UUCP (Tom Nemeth) writes:
>I have heard rumours that it is possible to replace the 80C86 processor
>The V30 and 80C86 are totally different in packaging.  Can anyone tell

I am intrigued by the prospect as well.  I have the =preliminary= V30
spec sheep in front of me now, and it claims it's available in 40-pin
plastic or ceramic packages, or a 52-pin flatpack.  The sheet's dated May '85
so other packaging styles may be available, not to mention clock speeds.
I believe I've seen 5, 8, and 10 MHz chips offered for sale.
The key question is: is the existing cpu chip soldered in, or socketed.
Soldered chips (on multi-layer boards) would probably require skills
I'm not sure I have!

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh

tnemeth@dmsadel.dms.oz (Tom Nemeth) (07/25/90)

In article <12009@rouge.usl.edu> jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) writes:
>>I have heard rumours that it is possible to replace the 80C86 processor
>>The V30 and 80C86 are totally different in packaging.  Can anyone tell
>
>I believe I've seen 5, 8, and 10 MHz chips offered for sale.

Yes, but I have only ever seen the 40 pin ceramic packaging.  I would like
to hear from anyone who knows of any other kind (& source!).

>The key question is: is the existing cpu chip soldered in, or socketed.
>Soldered chips (on multi-layer boards) would probably require skills

It's worse :-(  I had a look inside a T1200, and it is mostly SMT.

>I'm not sure I have!

I have been following a few discussions on working with SMT components,
and I believe it is certainly possible, esp. with the right equipment.
Be positive!

Tom Nemeth

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/03/90)

> tnemeth@dmsadel.dms.oz writes:
>
> I have heard rumours that it is possible to replace the 80C86 processor
> used on many laptops with a V30, and that it has been done on a T1200
> (or 1100+) in particular.  Now, this seems worthwhile, as going on my
> past experience with V30s I would expect a 60% increase in performance,
> but...
>
> The V30 and 80C86 are totally different in packaging.  Can anyone tell
> me (or point to an article) on physically how this was done?  Since
> there is not a lot of room inside a laptop, it seems to me to be a
> non-trivial problem to find a place to mount the larger chip.

This sounds interesting to me.  I'd be interested in replacing the 8086 (though
it is a speedy little bugger--approx. 250% of "regular" 4.77 MHz 8088 speed) in
my Toshiba T1000XE with a V30.  Anybody have any hints on this?
        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )