[comp.sys.laptops] T1000 Problem

djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) (08/03/90)

I have a Toshiba T1000 which went into storage working but came out behaving
weirdly.  The symptoms are  that when you power up the machine, the battery
led glows red for about 1 second and goes off.  Then nothing happens.  This
is with the A/C supply plugged in or not plugged in.  I am wondering if
the nicads may be so fried that the system can't get the juice to run.
The manual does not mention this problem.  Any suggestions/hints welcome.

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (08/04/90)

In article <19360@well.sf.ca.us> djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) writes:

>I have a Toshiba T1000 which went into storage working but came out behaving
>weirdly.  The symptoms are  that when you power up the machine, the battery
>led glows red for about 1 second and goes off.  Then nothing happens. .....

You need a new battery.  You can order it from
FEDCO Electronics, Inc. 184 West Second Street, P. O. Box 1403
Dond Du Lac, Wi. 54935-1043, 414-922-6490, or 1-800-542-9761,
for about $18.   Good luck.

I am not connected with the company in any way.

jstone@world.std.com (Jeffrey R Stone) (08/04/90)

djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) writes:

>I have a Toshiba T1000 which went into storage working but came out behaving
>weirdly.  The symptoms are  that when you power up the machine, the battery
>led glows red for about 1 second and goes off.  Then nothing happens.  This
>is with the A/C supply plugged in or not plugged in.  I am wondering if
>the nicads may be so fried that the system can't get the juice to run.
>The manual does not mention this problem.  Any suggestions/hints welcome.

My system does that when I let the NiCads go flat, which I do regularly
so they won't get too lazy.  Sometimes the machine has to be plugged in
to the charger for a few minutes (with the power turned switch off) before
it will wake up and boot.  On mine it is usually on the order of 30 - 90
seconds.  Hope this helps; dead cells are a drag.

-jeff-

dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (08/04/90)

From article <26578@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, by ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih):
> In article <19360@well.sf.ca.us> djb@well.sf.ca.us (David Jospeh Brightbill) writes:
>>
>>I have a Toshiba T1000 which went into storage working but came out behaving
>>weirdly.  The symptoms are  that when you power up the machine, the battery
>>led glows red for about 1 second and goes off.  Then nothing happens. .....
>
> You need a new battery.  You can order it from
> FEDCO Electronics, Inc. 184 West Second Street, P. O. Box 1403
> Dond Du Lac, Wi. 54935-1043, 414-922-6490, or 1-800-542-9761,
> for about $18.   Good luck.
>
> I am not connected with the company in any way.

That's Fond du Lac WI

By the way, have you tried charging your T1000? Mine showed the same response
until I charged it fully again.

Also, you can bring seemingly dead nicads back to life (take them out of
the t1000 first) and with something like a bench dc power supply (I use a car
charger on trickle charge) and zap some nicad cells that seem to die and
usually they come back to where I can charge them again.

--
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT
AT&T:414-229-5133 USnail:Dave Rasmussen-CSD,Box 413 EMS380,Milwaukee,WI 53201