[comp.sys.laptops] Harddisk upgrade from 40MB to 100MB

DPfeiffe@massey.ac.nz (D.U. Pfeiffer) (08/02/90)

I would like to replace the 40 MB drive (Conner CP343)
of my ZENITH Supersport 286 with a 100 MB drive. Has
anybody done this before with a ZENITH or other laptop?
Would the Conner CP3104 drive work in my machine? Or
does anybody know which drive is being used in the
Supersport SX with 100MB drive?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Dirk

         * Dirk U. Pfeiffer,                                 *
         * Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences,       *
         * Massey University,                                *
         * Palmerston North,                                 *
         *                                                   *
         * AOTEAROA                                          *
         * (The land of the long white cloud or New Zealand) *
         *                                                   *
         * DPFEIFFE@MASSEY.AC.NZ on INTERNET                 *

nfs@cs.Princeton.EDU (Norbert Schlenker) (08/06/90)

In article <887@massey.ac.nz> DPfeiffe@massey.ac.nz (D.U. Pfeiffer) writes:
>I would like to replace the 40 MB drive (Conner CP343)
>of my ZENITH Supersport 286 with a 100 MB drive. Has
>anybody done this before with a ZENITH or other laptop?

I've done something similar with a Toshiba 5100 - see below.

>Would the Conner CP3104 drive work in my machine?

I don't know.  Why don't you find out what Zenith puts in the 100Mb model?

Now for the grotty details, because others may be interested.

I bought a Toshiba 5100 almost three years ago.  At the time, it seemed
inconceivable to me that I would ever use up 40Mb of hard disk space.
I managed to keep up this fiction until a few months ago, when the most
recent round of software upgrades convinced me otherwise.  What with
Windows 3.0 taking almost 10Mb and Turbo C++ taking almost 10Mb and ...,
it doesn't take long to fill up a disk.

The Toshiba 5100's disk was a Conner CP-342, a 42Mb IDE drive with 27ms
average seek times and ~250Kb/sec peak transfer rate.  Toshiba now sells
the 5100 with a Conner CP-3104, with 24ms average seek and ~650Kb/sec
transfer rate.  The 42Mb model has been discontinued.

Since I was out of space, I wanted an upgrade for my machine.  Toshiba
does upgrades.  Unfortunately, they want $1399 + tax for the job when
the CP-3104 costs about $650 retail.  Furthermore, they keep the CP-342
removed from the machine.  Too much, too much, too much!

After considerable investigation, I found the following to be possible
problems in a do-it-yourself upgrade.  Zenith owners who do the same
thing are likely to run into similar problems.

1.  The warranty on the machine is voided.  This was not a consideration
    for me, as my warranty is long expired.
2.  The machine's BIOS may not support the new drive.  Toshiba was nice
    enough to upgrade my ROMs for me for a nominal sum - Zenith owners
    should explore this possibility with Zenith.  Toshiba 5100 owners
    should know that Toshiba Tech Support thinks that the V2.20 BIOS
    ROMs are the most current version, but when pressed will admit to
    V2.30.  This was important for me, as the V2.20 BIOS had timing
    problems after installation of the CP-3104.  (The problem was
    easily reproducible as a hang requiring power off whenever either
    Norton's SI or Columbia's DiskTest were run.)
3.  Conner made the CP-342 with two different power connectors, one with
    three pins and one with four.  The CP-3104 has a four pin connector.
    Needless to say, replacing a three pin CP-342 with a CP-3104 wouldn't
    be for the faint of heart.  My Toshiba 5100 had a four pin connector.
    Others should check FIRST!
4.  The space inside a laptop is incredibly cramped.  I have had my
    machine open numerous times, and have always been impressed by how
    so much fits in such a little space.  Working inside a Toshiba 5100
    is considerably complicated by the clamshell display and the (very)
    short cable that runs up from the motherboard to feed it.  The short
    cable length means that the display is never really out of the way
    when working inside the machine.  I assume that there is some trick
    that authorized repair shops know that allow its removal and later
    reinstallation.  I wish I knew it.

For those planning to do this to a T5100, you may find these hints
useful when installing a CP-3104:
	- Part of the display cable is strung under a plastic housing
          over the disk drive box.  If you can get the cable out from
          under the housing, you'll have an extra inch or so to play.
        - The power and disk drive LED's are on a little plastic piece
          mounted on top of the disk drive housing.  A small screwdriver
          (carefully used) will allow you to unmount the piece and get
          it out of the way, considerably facilitating further work.
        - The disk drive housing is held to the chassis by four small
          screws, all of which are easily lost in the bowels of the
          machine.  Have tweezers handy to grab them.
        - The hard disk is on the left and is attached to the housing
          by four large Phillips screws, two in front and two in back.
          The ones in front are trivial to remove; the ones in back
          require some contortions.  A right angled screwdriver is
          useful there.
        - With the housing screws out, the drive will fall right out of
          the housing.  Don't drop it on the motherboard.  Detach the
          power connector (pretty easy) and the IDE cable (pretty nasty
          because the connector has side latches, there are oodles of
          pins for extra friction, and there's no room to work!).
        - Put the new drive in.  Don't drop it on the motherboard!
    	  Reverse all the above steps and you're laughing.  At least I
          was until I discovered that the floppy drive didn't work any
          more.  It seems I pulled one of its cables while replacing
          the hard drive.  I opened it all up again, pushed on all the
          connectors, and closed it all.  Works like a charm.

That's all there is to it.  I am pleased as punch with the new drive.
Oodles of space, noticeably faster.  Replacing the drive takes some
gumption, but it's worth it.

Now that the new drive has been running for three weeks with nary a
whimper, it's time to sell the old one.  Anyone want a CP-342?  They're
good drives, very small, very quiet.  I will sell my old one, with
mounting rails if you want to put it into a regular AT.  The new price
seems to be in the low $300's - I'll sell mine for $250.  I left about
1 Mb of public domain software on it to boot.

Norbert