[comp.sys.laptops] Advice sought for a laptop companion to a Mac II

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/06/90)

> GFX@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>
> I have a IIci to handle most of my work and would like to acquire a *small*
> laptop to handle memos and letters while I commute, and log-on and check my
> e-mail when I travel.  Important features would include a good
> display/keyboard good autonomy; light and thin; maybe a hard drive...

I don't know anything about the Toshiba 100HD, but I just bought a Toshiba
T1000XE.  It's one of the smallest (12.2 x 10 x 1.7) and lightest (5.9 lbs)
hard drive portables on the market.  The keyboard is quite good (except for the
caps lock key, which is rather difficult to hit from a normal typing position
:-( ), the display is *very* nice (640 x 400, beautiful shade of blue) and the
machine is about as fast as an 8086 gets (about 250% of "original" PC speed).
The hard drive, because it is so small I guess (and because of the 16 bit bus)
is also quite zippy: 18 ms, 400 KB/sec.  I fell in lust with it as soon as I
saw it, and after a long weekend of very heavy use, I still have no complaints.

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

GFX@psuvm.psu.edu (08/07/90)

I have a IIci to handle most of my work and would like to acquire a *small*
laptop to handle memos and letters while I commute, and log-on and check my
e-mail when I travel.  Important features would include a good display/keyboard
good autonomy; light and thin; maybe a hard drive in order not to have to fool
around with floppies; an easy way to upload/download to/from a Mac.  I have
noticed the Toshiba 1000HB.  Is it any good?  Anything significantly better
in terms of quality/price ratio (again, I am not interested in a 386 portable
laptop; basic features in a reliable and ergonomic machine should satisfy me)

Thanks,  Stephane

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (08/07/90)

My advice: get the lightest thing you can afford that will let you use
the applications you want to use on the laptop.  For me, that means
Word and Excel and Kermit.  I have a Toshiba 1200 with two 720k
floppies, 2Mb of RAM that can be used as a RAM disk (and is powered
when the machine is off, so it's non-volitile storage.  The file types
are compatable with the Mac applications.  Substitute Word Perfect or
whatever, but try to use the same appications on both platforms.

/jordan

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (08/08/90)

In article <1414@s5.Morgan.COM> jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
> My advice: get the lightest thing you can afford that will let you use
> the applications you want to use on the laptop.  For me, that means
> Word and Excel and Kermit.  I have a Toshiba 1200 with two 720k
> floppies, 2Mb of RAM that can be used as a RAM disk (and is powered ..

This is good advice, but I ran into a simple problem.

I use Microsoft Works for a lot of simple memo writing, student grades, etc.
But I can't seem to transfer files from the laptop (Zenith Minisport HD) to
the Mac via Apple File Exchange.  What is the secret?

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

schatz@cs.arizona.edu (Bruce Schatz) (08/22/90)

I also was looking for a lightweight companion to a Mac II.
What I needed was a terminal/modem and word processing.
I bought a Toshiba T1000SE and have been largely satisfied with it.
The keyboard and screen are fine.  It only has a single disk (making
it lighter) but runs a terminal emulator and MS Word at good speed.
The major deficiency is that the modem (Toshiba 2400 baud) is very
sensitive to radio signals -- you can hear radio stations when dialling
and the line noise is very bad as a result.
I have also had difficulty getting parts -- the adapter cable was defective
and Computerland had to order it from Toshiba from Japan which took 2
months by slow boat.