[comp.sys.laptops] query on Compaq LTE/286

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/21/90)

> seitzer@stsci.EDU writes:
>
> Is there a way to turn off the hard disk on a Compaq LTE/286 when
> running on AC power?  It shuts itself down quite nicely when using the
> battery, but it would be nice to have a very quiet system when just
> editing text on my desk top.

I wouldn't mind having some way of shutting down the hard drive on my Toshiba
T1000XE from software.  I too like to have a very quiet system.
Is there a technical reference manual available for the thing so I could get
information on the graphics initalization parameters for 640 x 400 mode, the
pinouts for the 3.5" floppy connector, and the like?

                                        -cjs

seitzer@stsci.EDU (Patrick Seitzer) (08/22/90)

Is there a way to turn off the hard disk on a Compaq LTE/286 when
running on AC power?  It shuts itself down quite nicely when using the
battery, but it would be nice to have a very quiet system when just
editing text on my desk top.

I noticed that a "Technical Reference Manual" is available for $70.00
for this machine.  Has anyone looked at it?  Would it be helpful on
questions such as that posed above?

Thanks in advance.

Pat Seitzer

seitzer@stsci.edu

reed@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/22/90)

I have two Compaq LTE/286 questions:

First, does anyone have a recommendation for a mouse that I could
connect to the serial port?

Second, and related, I tried to install Microsoft Windows on the
beast, and I discovered that I did not have the necessary windows
driver for the LCD display.  Has anyone got this to work?

Dan Reed			reed@oboe.cs.uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois

okh@terje2.uio.no (Ola-Kristian Hoff) (08/23/90)

   Pat Seitzer writes:

>   Is there a way to turn off the hard disk on a Compaq LTE/286 when
>   running on AC power?  It shuts itself down quite nicely when using the
>   battery, but it would be nice to have a very quiet system when just
>   editing text on my desk top.

I have the same 'problem' with my Toshiba 1200xe.  The only solution I
have found is to start off on battery, and connect to mains after the
hard disk has been turned off.  I do not know whether that would work
with a Compaq though.  If anyone has better ideas on how to keep
laptops quiet, please let us know.

Ola-Kristian Hoff
okh@terje2.uio.no
--