[comp.sys.laptops] Should I buy a Tandy 1400HD?

esteban@apollo.HP.COM (Steven Fernandez) (08/30/90)

I did not get any answers to my previous question so maybe I gave
wrong model number. After looking at the catalog It may be the Tandy 1400HD.
I have an opportunity to buy A new one for $1200 or with 2 floppies for
$800 . Is
this machine worth buying. The screen seems somewhat small and the box is
heavy.  I also intend to buy the internal modem. Does procomm work on this
machine?  The machine is not in the Tandy 91 catalog so I assume it is a
discontinued model.

			Thanks

			Steve

 Steven Fernandez                      esteban@apollo.hp.com
 Hewlett Packard, Apollo Division
 Chelmsford, MA 01824

floyd@wam.umd.edu (Jim Matthews) (08/30/90)

In article <4c7e2e16.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> esteban@apollo.HP.COM (Steven Fernandez) writes:
>		Tandy 1400HD.
>I have an opportunity to buy a new one for $1200 or with 2 floppies for $800.
>Is this machine worth buying? The screen seems somewhat small and the box is
>heavy.  I also intend to buy the internal modem. Does procomm work on this
>machine?  The machine is not in the Tandy 91 catalog so I assume it is a
>discontinued model.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
	yes

	I bought a 1400LT (non-hard disk) two years ago.  I really like it
alot.  The keyboard is just like a full sized AT keyboard with its over-sized
enter key, arrow keys, function keys, etc.  I like the screen, too.  It's
bright enough to light up the keyboard in the dark, and it has lots of
contrast as well.  I didn't get the hard disk or modem options... both were
very expensive and I don't believe in portable hard disks (all of that jarring
and bumping around).  I hooked a 2400 bps external modem right up to the
built in RS232 port, loaded up Procomm 2.4.2, and went on my way.  Speaking of
ports, it has them all.  I once hooked up an external RGB monitor, 101 key
keyboard, modem, printer, and composite video monitor all at the same time.
	The disk drives are very good, but I am investigating building some
kind of interface to a 40 MB hard disk that I can leave on my desk and just
plug into when I'm home.  We'll see.
	Anyway, I really like the machine, but I can't recommend it to you
because I'm not sure for what you will be using it.  I use Wordperfect 5.0,
Turbo C and Pascal, and Procomm, mainly.  I paid $1200 for mine, so you'd be
getting a much better deal.
	I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.  Good luck!

							-Jim

--
 ____				|	University of Maryland
(   / floyd@cscwam.umd.edu	|	   Computer Science