[comp.sys.laptops] LapLink info?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/29/90)

> Does anyone know of a networking(?) protocol for laptops called
> LapLink?  Where can I find the definition of it?
> --
> Kai-Mikael J{{-Aro	kai@nada.kth.se		"NO DISASSEMBLE!" - No. 5

Laplink is a commercial program put out by Traveling Software.  The
package comes with a serial cable to allow you to connect two
PC-compatible computers, and an application program to transfer files
between them.

Laplink is very fast -- it transfers files between machines at 115,000
baud.  But as far as I know, it is a proprietary protocol.  There are
no other implementations of Laplink other than the one put out by
Traveling Software, and the product does not come with a definition of
the protocol.

You could write Traveling Software and ask about the definition of
their protocol:

	Traveling Software
	18702 North Creek Parkway
	Bothell, Washington  USA 98011

			--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "every now and then things become clear" -- jane siberry

kai@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Kai-Mikael J{{-Aro) (08/29/90)

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (08/31/90)

In article <PORTUESI.90Aug29101720@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Laplink is a commercial program put out by Traveling Software.  The
>baud.  But as far as I know, it is a proprietary protocol.  There are
>no other implementations of Laplink other than the one put out by
>Traveling Software, and the product does not come with a definition of
>the protocol.

PCTools ver 6.0 includes LapLink support.  I suspect they licensed the
software.  I was also told that PCTools can talk to another PCTools
using the LapLink support software, ie, lls (the server) and llXc (the
client, I forget which letter replaces X) can interoperate.  All you need
is the appropriate null-modem cable.
--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh