[comp.sys.laptops] Rechargable batteries on the Portfolio

fred@eagle.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) (08/24/90)

I have been going through so many batteries on my Portfolio lately, I was
curious if anyone has used nicads successfully in their machine.  I am not
sure that the 1.25 volts they supply will be enough to avoid the dreaded
'LOW BATTERIES' warning.

Thanks!

+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
[ R. Mark Adams                   I       Sorry, nothing clever yet.        ]
[ Baylor College of Medicine      I                                         ]
[ Department of Cell Biology      I                                         ]
[ Houston, TX 77030               I                                         ]
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+

powers@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de (David Powers AG Siekmann) (08/24/90)

fred@eagle.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) writes:

>I have been going through so many batteries on my Portfolio lately, I was
>curious if anyone has used nicads successfully in their machine.  I am not
>sure that the 1.25 volts they supply will be enough to avoid the dreaded
>'LOW BATTERIES' warning.

>Thanks!

I have been using NiCads for a couple of months now.  Since the
voltage of 1.5V Normal (say Alkaline) actually drops over its
life time, the 1.2V NiCad is fine - and actually more stable.
I found Polaroid or EveryReady Gold gave me about 2.5 months
and Sanyo NiCads with 5 hours fast charge about 1.5 months.

David Powers

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (08/24/90)

In article <1718@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> fred@eagle.bcm.tmc.edu (Fred Ledley) writes:

>I have been going through so many batteries on my Portfolio lately, I was
>curious if anyone has used nicads successfully in their machine.  I am not
>sure that the 1.25 volts they supply will be enough to avoid the dreaded
>'LOW BATTERIES' warning.

I am sure the NiCd should be OK with the Portfolio.  I have been using
them in my Poqet PC excepting there is practically no warning time,
i.e., you have to replace battery immediately.  Also the NiCd capacity
is only 1/4 of the Alkaline.  The actual cost of NiCd is
1/30 to 1/10.

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (08/31/90)

   As I recall, the portfolio uses THREE batteries, and most chargers I've
seen charge them in PAIRS. What do you guys do with the 4th one? Or do you
have chargers that work with odd numbers of cells?

   I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to just discharge the 4th one with a
small lightbulb or resistor; I don't think I'd want to use 2 freshly
charged cells with a 3rd that had been sitting on a shelf for more than a
couple of weeks.

   There was a simple hardware mod for the Tandy 100 that allowed the AC
adapter to charge the batteries; anyone looked into this for the portfolio?

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod