[comp.sys.laptops] TI Travelmate 2000

drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) (09/05/90)

While in Dallas, I visited the Info-Mart and came across a very neat
package by TI.  Here's a brief description:

          -- 8.5"(d) X 11"(w) X 1.4"(h)

          -- 4.4 pounds

          -- 640 X 480 VGA

          -- 20MB hard disk drive

          -- 80C286 AT compatible processor

          -- MSDOS 4.01 (in ROM)

          -- $3995 suggestd retail.

At first glance, and just a few key strokes, the machine seemed to be just what
the doctor ordered.  Has anyone had experience with new entry in the 'notebook'
market?

Thanks,
--
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
| David Rackley		        |                                             |

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (09/05/90)

In article <DRACK.90Sep4154646@diablo.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu> drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) writes:
>While in Dallas, I visited the Info-Mart and came across a very neat
>package by TI.  Here's a brief description:

As far as I can tell, this is the same unit as the Sharp 6220 (?) ... features
& appearance are amazingly similar :-) ... price/warranty difference?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (09/05/90)

In article <DRACK.90Sep4154646@diablo.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>
drack@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Dave Rackley) writes:
> While in Dallas, I visited the Info-Mart and came across a very neat
> package by TI.  Here's a brief description:
>
>           -- 8.5"(d) X 11"(w) X 1.4"(h)
.
.
>   ..Has anyone had experience with new entry in the 'notebook'
> market?

I've been checking this one out.  It seems that this same device is available
from TI as their 'Notebook', as the Sharp 6220, and as the CompuAdd Companion.
These are the three sources I've found so far.  Apparently TI manufactures
them to the vendors specifications.  Now whether the vendors have different
specifications is something I haven't been able to determine.

CompuAdd seems to have the most favorable pricing.  They want $2895, and
claim they can ship in four days.  The New York discount houses would not give
prices for the Sharp saying it was 'too new'.  That may have changed in the
last week, however. I called TI two weeks ago and they said they would send
info, but nothing has arrived.

If I had to buy one today, I think I would call CompuAdd.  Unless, of
course, I found a TI dealer who was willing to really deal.

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/07/90)

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) writes:

>I've been checking this one out.  It seems that this same device is available
>from TI as their 'Notebook', as the Sharp 6220, and as the CompuAdd Companion.
>These are the three sources I've found so far.  Apparently TI manufactures
>them to the vendors specifications.  Now whether the vendors have different
>specifications is something I haven't been able to determine.

More likely, SHARP is doing the manufacturing. The latest whiz-bang is
all too often made in Japan, especially if it involves the latest in micro
engineering, even if it's made to our specs. Japan is only too happy to
take the job off our hands, as it gives them reason to keep investing in
technology, plant, and personnel.

BTW, at this week's Fed Micro show in Washington I mentioned to someone
at the CompuAdd booth that their new notebook computer looked a lot like
the Sharp. The woman grinned, said "Imagine that!".

Also BTW, those looking for more horsepower than available in today's
notebooks should look at the latest Grid... 20 MHz 386sx, 60 or 120 MB
hard disk, up to 7 MB RAM or thereabouts, very crisp VGA panel (which,
unfortunately, won't function simultaneously with external monitor),
and built in mouse-like device (called, I believe, Iso Pointer).

bob@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Bob F. Breedlove) (09/07/90)

I am composing this message on a CompuAdd Companion.  Although I have
not seen the TI or Sharp version, I can attest to the quality and "fun"
of this machine.  The screen and keyboard are excellent and it is
well worth the price.  I am also using a Vocal Stowaway 2400 modem
which is smaller than a pack of cigarettes and gets its power from
the phone line.  It also seems an excellent buy.  I purchased the
Companion from their store in Austin (their home base), TX.  I was
lucky that they had one sitting around.  But at the time, they said
they were getting 2 day delivery via UPS.
--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
Author: CONFIG.EXE, RUN.EXE, CleanUp.EXE
        pacbell!sactoh0!bob

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (09/07/90)

In article <389@news.nd.edu>, jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) writes:

> I've been checking this one out.  It seems that this same device is available
> from TI as their 'Notebook', as the Sharp 6220, and as the CompuAdd Companion.
> These are the three sources I've found so far.  Apparently TI manufactures
> them to the vendors specifications.  Now whether the vendors have different
> specifications is something I haven't been able to determine.

Can't speak about the Notebook, but I do remember well that Radio Shack used
to sell a programmable calculator that was simply a TI-57 with their own
label on it (ah, those were the days...).

My guess is that they are completely identical. You could peel the labels off
of the Radio Shack battery pack and it had the TI labels on it (they were
imprinted into the plastic). That's how I bought a replacement battery pack
for it; Radio Shack didn't seem to have any.

For what it's worth.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (09/07/90)

In article <60@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
> jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) writes:
>
> >I've been checking this one out.  It seems that this same device is
available
> >from TI as their 'Notebook', as the Sharp 6220, and as the CompuAdd
Companion.
> >These are the three sources I've found so far.  Apparently TI
manufactures
> >them to the vendors specifications.  Now whether the vendors have
different
> >specifications is something I haven't been able to determine.
>
> More likely, SHARP is doing the manufacturing. The latest whiz-bang is
> all too often made in Japan, especially if it involves the latest in
micro
> engineering, even if it's made to our specs. Japan is only too happy to
> take the job off our hands, as it gives them reason to keep investing in
> technology, plant, and personnel.

No. Please don't contaminate the net with guesses.  I used the word
'apparently' only because I got the information from CompuAdd.  If I
had gotten the same info from another source, I would have stated that
TI as the manufacturer as a fact.  But you, on the other hand, are only
guessing.  Please be more careful.

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame