[comp.sys.laptops] Zero Slot LANs query

limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) (08/23/90)

Can anyone make a recommendation for one of the zero slot LAN s/w
packages?  I am considering using one of these in place of buying
an external drive for a Toshiba T1000XE.

Alternatively if some one could point me to a review of these packages
that would be extremely helpful.

Zero slot LANs work with the serial/parallel ports of PCs for those
who may know this under a different name.

thanks

HuiLin Lim
limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/25/90)

> limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com writes:
>
> Can anyone make a recommendation for one of the zero slot LAN s/w
> packages?  I am considering using one of these in place of buying
> an external drive for a Toshiba T1000XE.
>
> Alternatively if some one could point me to a review of these packages
> that would be extremely helpful.

I happen to have the exact same machine and interest.  I've played with a
couple of zero-slot LAN programs, but have not had terribly large amounts of
success.
There's one called EASYNET which is seems to be a commercial program, though
it's publically distributed.  I couldn't get this to work at all.

I'm currently playing with one called $25-NET.  It's free and publically
distributed.  I've been having problems, but they could be due in part to using
DR-DOS 3.31 on my AT (which is connected to the Toshiba).  I'm going to try
switching over to MS-DOS 3.3 (which is what my Toshiba uses) on the AT and see
how well that works out.  I'll post a brief summary if anyone cares to see it.

There is a commercial product I've seen called Zero-Lan (I believe) but I don't
recall the manufacturer.  I'm going to go get a demo of it next week.  It's
about $150 per node.

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (08/26/90)

In article <3860002@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) writes:

> Can anyone make a recommendation for one of the zero slot LAN s/w
> packages?  I am considering using one of these in place of buying
> an external drive for a Toshiba T1000XE.

I have become a big fan of "The $25 Network."  I use it frequently
between my laptop and desk machines.   It works well, doesn't take
up much memory space, and doesn't cause any problems even when the
network is not in use, or the cable is disconnected.

The only potential problem is that the documentation is a little
sketchy.  If you some background setting up serial connections you
shouldn't have any problems.

It costs $25 (surprise!) and is sold by

	Information Modes
	P.O. Drawer F
	Denton, Texas 76202
	(817) 387-3339

I have no connection with this company other than as a satisfied
customer.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (08/27/90)

In article <2933@mindlink.UUCP>, a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
> I'm currently playing with one called $25-NET.  It's free and publically
> distributed.

If this is the "$25 Network" by Information Modes, it is most definitely
NOT free (where do think they get the name?), and the author clearly states
is NOT to be publicly distrbuted.  $25 is such a reasonable price for this
fine product that I hate to think of the author being ripped off by
pirates.  (Not referring to the Curt who probably came by his copy
honestly).

If this is referring to something else... "Never Mind."

--

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/28/90)

> psfales@cbnewsc.att.com writes:
>
> > I'm currently playing with one called $25-NET.  It's free and publicly
> > distributed.
>
> If this is the "$25 Network" by Information Modes, it is most definitely
> NOT free (where do think they get the name?), and the author clearly states
> is NOT to be publicly distrbuted.

My copy didn't say anything about this.  I got it off a bulletin board, and it
came with a READ.ME file (by an unknown author).  An examination of the .COM
file with a hex editor shows that it's version 1.0, and gives the Information
Modes address.   It also says "NOTICE: author & Owner, Don Jindra,
817-387-3339."  I will call him and see what's what. If this is not freely
available, I'll track it down on as many boards as possible and get the sysops
to kill it.

<Sigh>  I hate it when this happens.

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

reed@m.cs.uiuc.edu (08/28/90)

Regarding "zero-slot" LANs for laptops, I'm more interested in hardware
and software that would allow me to connect to an Ethernet (and then
to my Unix workstation).  I'd like it to support FTP and Telnet from
laptop side.
Daniel Reed					reed@oboe.cs.uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science
Urbana, Illinois  61801

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (08/28/90)

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:

>In article <3860002@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) writes:
>>
>> Can anyone make a recommendation for one of the zero slot LAN s/w
>> packages?  I am considering using one of these in place of buying
>> an external drive for a Toshiba T1000XE.

>I have become a big fan of "The $25 Network."  I use it frequently
>between my laptop and desk machines.   It works well, doesn't take
>up much memory space, and doesn't cause any problems even when the
>network is not in use, or the cable is disconnected.

I'm a big fan too.  It lives in 10K, runs flawlessly at 115K bps, lets
you share printers as well as disks.

Before buying it (it is *not* free, as someone else erroneously
posted), I tried EasyLan, LanLink, QLAN, and Brooklyn Bridge in a
DESQView window.  All were atrocious: huge, unreliable, and prone to
hang both machines at once.  The $25 Network is in another class
entirely.

Disclaimer: I'm just a satisfied customer.

--richard

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) (08/28/90)

What is a zero slot lan more exactly? Is one of the computers running as
a server for the other or could both mount the other ones disks? Could
a laptop mount a disk from a PC that is mounted to that PC from a third
server PC with a real net?

Kent Boortz
boortz@sics.se

boortz@sics.se (Kent Boortz) writes:

>What is a zero slot lan more exactly? Is one of the computers running as
>a server for the other

no.

> or could both mount the other ones disks?

yes.

>Could
>a laptop mount a disk from a PC that is mounted to that PC from a third
>server PC with a real net?

yes.

These answers all pertain to The $25 Network only.

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/29/90)

I just talked to Don Jindra, and yes, The $25 Network is definitely commercial
software and is not to be distributed.  I'm getting all of the BBSs that have
it my area to kill it.

Incidently, the latest version is 2.3, and it's supposed to run quite well.

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (08/29/90)

->psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) writes:
->
->>In article <3860002@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) writes:
->>>
[...]

I think I know the answer, but does this (or anything else anyone has heard
of)  allow a laptop access to another PC running Xenix?  Even for printer
sharing and occasional ftp type usage?

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/30/90)

Talked directly with Don Jindra. $25 Network is not shareware and
should not be posted on any BBS. He said there were some altered
copies around, which may have misled people. I ordered a legitimate
copy from him (817 387 8889).

Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz (Ross Alford) (08/31/90)

In article <3860002@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) writes:

> Can anyone make a recommendation for one of the zero slot LAN s/w
> packages?  I am considering using one of these in place of buying
> an external drive for a Toshiba T1000XE.

I have experimented with these and found them a pain if all you want is
to transfer files.  They require device drivers, etc installed on both
machines, and also usually want both machines to be running the same version
of DOS.  A much easier alternative, and one I like so much I'm sending the $10
requested as a contribution, is a little utility called ZIP, available from the
MSDOS.LAN directory on SIMTEL20 as ZIP143.ZIP, 18k bytes long.  It is a small
.com file which does transfers at 115,000 bps across null modem lines between
two PCs running ANY versions of DOS.  It can download itself from one to
another by redirecting DEBUG's input from the com port on the receiving
machine.  To do file transfers, just run it on both machines, tell one to be a
server, direct all transactions from the keyboard of the other.  If this
program would transfer entire hard disks, subdirectories and all, it would be
perfect.

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/31/90)

> In article <3860002@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com>, limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Lim Hui Lin) writes:
>>
>> Can anyone make a recommendation for one of the zero slot LAN s/w
>> packages?  I am considering using one of these in place of buying
>> an external drive for a Toshiba T1000XE.
>>
> I have experimented with these and found them a pain if all you want is
> to transfer files.  They require device drivers, etc installed on both
> machines, and also usually want both machines to be running the same version
> of DOS.  A much easier alternative, and one I like so much I'm sending the $10
> requested as a contribution, is a little utility called ZIP, available from the
> MSDOS.LAN directory on SIMTEL20 as ZIP143.ZIP, 18k bytes long.  It is a small
> .com file which does transfers at 115,000 bps across null modem lines between
> two PCs running ANY versions of DOS.  It can download itself from one to
> another by redirecting DEBUG's input from the com port on the receiving
> machine.  To do file transfers, just run it on both machines, tell one to be a
> server, direct all transactions from the keyboard of the other.  If this
> program would transfer entire hard disks, subdirectories and all, it would be
> perfect.

I should point out that on the machine under discussion (the T1000XE),
LapLink comes built into ROM.  It can transfer files between PC's at
115,000 bps over the serial port, download itself to another machine,
and transfer entire subdirectory trees between machines.

So if you buy a T1000XE and just need to transfer files between
machines, your problem has already been solved.

BTW, Toshiba seems to have lowered the price on the T1000XE.  The
cheapest local dealer price I'm now seeing is $1545 -- much cheaper
than the $1725 mail-order price I was able to find three months ago.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "every now and then things become clear" -- jane siberry

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (09/01/90)

zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz (Ross Alford) writes:

>I have experimented with these and found them a pain if all you want is
>to transfer files.  They require device drivers, etc installed on both
>machines, and also usually want both machines to be running the same version
>of DOS.

True, The $25 Network requires device drivers to be installed at both
ends, and it does require that you be running the same *major*
revision of MessDOS at both ends (i.e. 3.3 is OK with 3.1, but not
with 2.1).  However, it gives you more than your ZIP utility delivers:
not only can you transfer files, but you can do so without slaving one
machine to the other, and you can view directories, execute programs,
and so on from the remote disks just as if they were local.  Plus you
can share character devices like printers.

So I agree: if *all* you want to do is transfer files, and making one
machine a slave is not a problem, don't bother with a zero-slot LAN.
Otherwise, you can't beat The $25 Network.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

limhl@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Hui Lin Lim) (09/13/90)

Well I just bought a copy of $25 Network and investigated LantasticZ.
Turns out that LantasticZ is probably a more "friendly" package in
that it doesn't require drivers to be installed supports NETBIOS, will
support modem connections etc.  Unfortunately it costs ~$200.  $25
Network is reasonably easy to use although the manual is oriented
towards more technical users.

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
> zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz (Ross Alford) writes:
>
> >I have experimented with these and found them a pain if all you want is
> >to transfer files.  They require device drivers, etc installed on both
> >machines, and also usually want both machines to be running the same version
> >of DOS.
>
> True, The $25 Network requires device drivers to be installed at both
> ends, and it does require that you be running the same *major*
> revision of MessDOS at both ends (i.e. 3.3 is OK with 3.1, but not
> with 2.1).  However, it gives you more than your ZIP utility delivers:

I would like to add (although I haven't actually tried it) the
documentation says that you can use different versions of DOS except
that the older versions will be prevented from writing to the system
running the newer version.  This is also true for those people running
Compaq DOS 3.31.  I'm impressed that so much effort has been put into
the product to support all these odd cases.

> So I agree: if *all* you want to do is transfer files, and making one
> machine a slave is not a problem, don't bother with a zero-slot LAN.
> Otherwise, you can't beat The $25 Network.

Slight disagreement - all I want to do is transfer files.
Unfortunately in order to transfer some files on floppies you have to
'install' them first.  Eg. MS Word - I would have to install a version
tailored for my XE (on my desktop) then use LapLink to transfer it
rather than install it directly on the laptop.  Programs like Norton
Commander (I know I could use the link facility but that's a hassle
and my version never seems to use speeds >38400) which have directory
compare and copy features are also invaluable when transferring
files.

'Nuff said - I'm now a satisfied user of $25 Network and I'd like to
thank all those who recommended it.

HuiLin Lim