[comp.sys.laptops] Toshiba Modem Noise Problems

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (08/22/90)

> schatz@cs.arizona.edu writes:
>
> The major deficiency is that the modem (Toshiba 2400 baud) is very
> sensitive to radio signals -- you can hear radio stations when dialling
> and the line noise is very bad as a result.

Hmmm.  I haven't got my modem yet, so I can't comment on this, but I did get an
extra panel to cover the modem when installed.  This new plate has a slight
rise on top and has some shielding inside it.  Did anyone else get one of
these?  Does anyone else have any comments on the performance of the modem,
with or without the shielded panel?

        -cjs    ( Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP )

schnable@cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) (08/23/90)

From article <2900@mindlink.UUCP>, by a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson):
>> schatz@cs.arizona.edu writes:
>>
>> The major deficiency is that the modem (Toshiba 2400 baud) is very
>> sensitive to radio signals -- you can hear radio stations when dialling
>> and the line noise is very bad as a result.
>
> Hmmm.  I haven't got my modem yet, so I can't comment on this, but I did get an
> extra panel to cover the modem when installed.  This new plate has a slight
> rise on top and has some shielding inside it.  Did anyone else get one of
> these?  Does anyone else have any comments on the performance of the modem,
> with or without the shielded panel?

I didn't bother using the special cover  - and I haven't had any radio
interference problems. I think the "bubble" cover is for wedging in an
older modem. The toshiba modem works just fine.  I have used it with
a variety of telecommunications programs.

I do read the toshiba bbs regularly - and the RFI complaint has come up a
few times. A solution was also suggested.  Radio Shack sells some magnetic
toroids that you can loop your phone cord and power cords through. They
are supposed to be really cheap - and they completely cut out the unwanted RFI.

a.schnable@att.com

gsky@cbnewsd.att.com (glenn.kapetansky) (08/24/90)

In article <2900@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>> schatz@cs.arizona.edu writes:
>>
>> The major deficiency is that the modem (Toshiba 2400 baud) is very
>> sensitive to radio signals

>Hmmm.  I haven't got my modem yet, so I can't comment on this, but I did get an
>extra panel to cover the modem when installed.  This new plate has a slight
>rise on top and has some shielding inside it.  Did anyone else get one of
>these?

I got the extra panel, with the shielding, too. My Toshiba-brand
modem fit under the standard panel okay, but the shielding seemed
like a good idea. So I peeled it off the extra panel, and stuck it
on the standard panel (I needed to cut the shielding a bit). Works
like a charm--so does a friend's, without the shield, but then again,
he never was the sort to wear suspenders and a belt :-) Anyway, it
can't hurt and it might help.

--
``What can I say? I laughed. I cried. I fell down. It changed my life.
 It was good. The end.''

glenn kapetansky	att!pueblo!gsky		gsky@pueblo.ATT.COM

dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com (dave barrett) (09/14/90)

--
In article <2900@mindlink.UUCP>, a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:

|> > schatz@cs.arizona.edu writes:
|> >
|> > The major deficiency is that the modem (Toshiba 2400 baud) is very
|> > sensitive to radio signals -- you can hear radio stations when dialling
|> > and the line noise is very bad as a result.
|>
|> Hmmm.  I haven't got my modem yet, so I can't comment on this, but I did get
an
|> extra panel to cover the modem when installed.  This new plate has a slight
|> rise on top and has some shielding inside it.  Did anyone else get one of
|> these?  Does anyone else have any comments on the performance of the modem,
|> with or without the shielded panel?

I found that without the shielded plate, the modem received so much interference
it wouldn't
work at all, with the shielded plate I've had no problems at all with the
Toshiba 2400 baud
modem.

BTW. I've got the modem installed in my T1000SE.

	David Barrett

	dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com
	..!decwrl!riscy.enet!dbb