[comp.sys.laptops] Can anyone recommend a cheap laptop?

sfc3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen H Chung) (09/19/90)

Hi, NetLanders,

I need a laptop (or a portable or whatever that I can reasonably bring
around) but have limited funds.  I don't need a lot of fancy features,
CGA is fine, and 2 floppies is tolerable (though a hard disk may be
better).  Modem is good but not critical.  Any recommendations?

Please reply to this account.  Thanx!

- Stephen

cchin@weber.ucsd.edu (Chet Chin) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.190952.17825@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sfc3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen H Chung) writes:
>Hi, NetLanders,
>
>I need a laptop (or a portable or whatever that I can reasonably bring
>around) but have limited funds.  I don't need a lot of fancy features,
>CGA is fine, and 2 floppies is tolerable (though a hard disk may be
>better).  Modem is good but not critical.  Any recommendations?
>
>Please reply to this account.  Thanx!
>
>- Stephen

You're in luck (unless you're looking for a brand new laptop).  I need to sell
my Zenith 181-92 laptop, (cuz I'm going home to Malaysia).  The machine comes
with a LCD CGA screen, 640K RAM, 2 3.5" 720K floppies, and a case.  Oh, I also
have an external 2400 bps modem.  And I'm asking $1,200/- for both laptop and
modem.  Interested?

The Zenith is very solidly built, with both floppies protected when laptop is
closed up (i.e., the floppies are not located on the side of the machine).
The screen is unusually large for a laptop computer.  Only drawback is its
single speed of a slow 4.77mHz.

If you are interested, there is the problem of how to ship the laptop to you,
as we're on different coasts.  I don't know how safe UPS is - I don't want the
machine to reach you with any of its parts rattling!  As for the cost of
shipping, would you care to share it 50-50?

I'll also throw in some software if you're interested.

Let me know.

Chet Chin
UC San Diego