[comp.sys.laptops] Toshiba T1000SE "zeroing out" memory?

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (09/24/90)

I find it strange that the T1000SE would "zero" its memory after sitting for a
while.  My only thought on the matter is that it must not be plugged in.  It is
safe to leave the thing plugged in all the time, as the charger automatically
turns off when the battery is charged.  (At least, it seems to on mine.
Recently it hasn't been doing that, and I have to pull out the battery, plug it
in again, and use the pop-up window to tell it that the "new" battery is
completely charged so that it doesn't charge it anymore.  Wierd.)

Incidently, if you're looking for a hard disk version, I'm quite happy with my
T1000XE, which is an SE with a 20 MB hard drive instead of the floppy.

cjs

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (09/24/90)

Having had a T1000SE for about two months now, I've again been bitten
by an incredibly annoying problem: basically if the computer is left
sitting for a few weeks it completely runs out the battery to the
point where it even loses anything on the RAM card I've installed.

Since I tend to use it only on trips, it means that I have to go
through the hassle of reinstalling my software *each time* I want
to use the machine!  Grrr...

I have a non-Toshiba modem, but am careful to always have the laptop
*not* supply power to it when I'm not using it (via the ALT-OPTS key)
(or something like that - the little two page pop up config menu)...

It is a drag because overall I really like the T1000SE, but this problem
is getting to be enough of a drag that I'm probably going to try to trade
it in for a 1200 or something else that has a similar footprint/weight but
has a *hard disk* too...

	Anyone else experienced this?
						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (09/24/90)

> Having had a T1000SE for about two months now, I've again been bitten
> by an incredibly annoying problem: basically if the computer is left
> sitting for a few weeks it completely runs out the battery to the
> point where it even loses anything on the RAM card I've installed.

This is nothing you weren't warned about in the manual.  Have you
considered leaving the unit plugged in when you are not using it?

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "product plus promotion equals profit" -- consolidated

phil@mips.COM (Phil Arellano) (09/25/90)

 On 24 Sep 90 07:13:55 GMT, taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) said:

> Having had a T1000SE for about two months now, I've again been bitten
> by an incredibly annoying problem: basically if the computer is left
> sitting for a few weeks it completely runs out the battery to the
> point where it even loses anything on the RAM card I've installed.

That battery can only last so long!

Anyway, my wife does this on her T1000SE occasionaly.  I created an
installation disk with a .BAT file that I use to reload the HardRAM with her
favorite things.  Sometimes the configuation gets lost, and I have to recreate
the HardRAM using setup10, but this is just a few keystrokes.  Using the
.BAT file really saves time and is quite convenient.  Since you have the
expanded memory card, you may need 3 installation disks.  Automating the
process should reduce you frustrations.  Just remember to save to floppy
anything you want to keep around.

	phil

--
UUCP: {ames,decwrl}!mips!phil  -OR-  phil@mips.com
USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086, (408) 524-8258

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (09/25/90)

Michael Portuesi writes:

> This is nothing you weren't warned about in the manual.  Have you
> considered leaving the unit plugged in when you are not using it?

Yeah, but that'll "teach the batteries bad tricks" -- my understanding
of how rechargable batteries work is that you're not supposed to leave
them plugged in for great lengths of time, as they will hold shorter
and shorter charges.  Indeed, I recently had to special order a
replacement battery for my CD player because I always leave it plugged
in and it absolutely wouldn't take any charge at all after a while...

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (09/25/90)

In an article taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) wrote:

>I have a non-Toshiba modem, but am careful to always have the laptop
>*not* supply power to it when I'm not using it (via the ALT-OPTS key)
>(or something like that - the little two page pop up config menu)...

This reminds me of something.  I can't be sure for the T1000SE, but I
distinctly remember reading somewhere that on the T1600 some modems
such as the MegaHertz do not obey the power-off command, and even
though you think you are turning it off, it still is drawing power!

I bet this is part of your problem.

--
John Dudeck                                  "Nothing is foolproof, because
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                        fools are so ingenious."

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (09/26/90)

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

>Having had a T1000SE for about two months now, I've again been bitten
>by an incredibly annoying problem: basically if the computer is left
>sitting for a few weeks it completely runs out the battery to the
>point where it even loses anything on the RAM card I've installed.

Gee, Dave!  Do you mean to say that maintaining power to the RAM in
your computer actually takes electricity?  Does this surprise you, or
are you surprised that the electricity comes from the battery?  Maybe
you are surprised that the battery maintains the RAM contents for
"only" a few weeks, rather than 8 or ten years?  Have you tried
leaving your system plugged into the wall for those "few weeks"?  If
so, did it *still* loose RAM contents, or did the (nearly) constant
supply of electricity make the problem go away?

I've had a T1200 for a couple of years.  Every now and then, I leave
it sitting unplugged and unused for a substantial amount of time and
RAM contents are lost.  Usually, I say to myself, "Ron, you doofus!
Next time remember to plug it in!"  Maybe the same technique would
work with your T1000SE.

BTW, doesn't your manual talk about battery life under various
conditions?  My T1200 manual does.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Mandatory Drug Testing?  Just Say NO!!!"

wido@isgtec.UUCP (Wido Menhardt) (10/02/90)

I've had a T1000 for about two years, and never, never, were the memory
contents lost. I could leave it without power supply for several weeks,
without a problem. Also, leaving it on AC for weeks did not kill any
batteries.

  I AM surprised !
    ==

-wido.