[comp.sys.laptops] Interfacing to the T1000SE 100-pin connector

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (10/01/90)

> pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu writes:
>
> The Toshiba docking station (called "DeskStation") should be available
> sometime this month (or next month).  It has TWO 16-bit full length
> slots (16 bits because the DeskStation is supposed to be usable on T1200XE).

Is there any reason that those 16 bit slots couldn't be used on the T1000SE/XE,
too?  It's got an 8086 (16 bit bus) rather than an 8088 (8 bit bus).  I'm
pretty sure that the built in hard-drive controller on my XE is 16 bit because
of the transfer rate.  (It transfers at about 475 KB/sec, which is in the AT
speed range; typical XT speeds are 185 KB/sec.)

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson   Data: (604) 687-6736

pae@athena.mit.edu (Philip Earnhardt) (10/02/90)

I've been looking for a mechanism to connect a (non-portable) hard disk to
my T1000SE for a while. I wanted to do this through the 100-pin connector
to not tie up either the serial or parallel ports and to minimize data
transfer latency that would be introduced by the interface.

There appears to be a solution on the horizon! Connect Computer Company is now
selling a product called WONUnder cradle, which provides a single 8-bit XT
card slot. The company has successfully plugged in a variety of cards from
VGA controllers to network cards.

They also tried the Plus Hard Card, but it didn't work. They claimed that
the T1000SE thought that there were already 2 hard drives on the machine and
wouldn't configure a third. I've managed to avoid the Wonderful World of
DOS Drivers for most of my career...does anyone have any ideas if this is
something they can fix via a config change? Doesn't the T1000XE have the same
ROM Disk/RAM Disk setup?

Anyhow, CCC has shipped one of these beasties off to Toshiba. If a disk drive
can be configured, they should figure out how to do it. Also, Toshiba's
"official" docking station for the T1000SE is now available in Japan. It
covers the entire back of the machine, so it must have pass-throughs for
all of the connectors. The Japanese cost is a bit over $1000 US. Ouch!
I believe that's for 3 8-bit slots. The WONUnder appears to cost around
$300 on the street. There's on ad in the October issue of Computer Shopper
that lists the WONUnder...Excel Micro on Page 208P.

Anyhow, I'll keep in touch with CCC to see when they have figured out the
hard disk configuration problem. This sounds like the cheapest way for
someone to add "just one card" to their T1000SE.

Phil Earnhardt          Netwise, Inc.  2477 55th St.  Boulder, CO 80301
Phone:303-442-8280      UUCP: onecom!wldrdg!pae
My opinions do not reflect any official position of Netwise.

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Oct2.005928.7722@athena.mit.edu> pae@athena.mit.edu (Philip Earnhardt) writes:
>I've been looking for a mechanism to connect a (non-portable) hard disk to
>my T1000SE for a while. I wanted to do this through the 100-pin connector
>to not tie up either the serial or parallel ports and to minimize data
>transfer latency that would be introduced by the interface.

Yes, it is possible.  There is a product sold by Systems Peripherals
Consultants (800-345-0824) in CA which consists of an adapter card to
be plugged to the 100-pin connector, a ribbon cable to go from the card
to the hard disk, and a power supply for the hard disk.

>There appears to be a solution on the horizon! Connect Computer Company is now
>selling a product called WONUnder cradle, which provides a single 8-bit XT
>card slot. The company has successfully plugged in a variety of cards from
>VGA controllers to network cards.

Yes, I also contact them earlier and basically I found what you found about
features and limitations of WONUnder box.

>They also tried the Plus Hard Card, but it didn't work. They claimed that
>the T1000SE thought that there were already 2 hard drives on the machine and
>wouldn't configure a third. I've managed to avoid the Wonderful World of
>DOS Drivers for most of my career...does anyone have any ideas if this is
>something they can fix via a config change? Doesn't the T1000XE have the same
>ROM Disk/RAM Disk setup?

If all you need is just an ext. hard drive using the 100-pin connector,
it is cheaper to buy an ext. hard drive than to buy any expansion chasis
plus a hard card (assuming the expansion chasis works with hard card).
(See the price below)

>Anyhow, CCC has shipped one of these beasties off to Toshiba. If a disk drive
>can be configured, they should figure out how to do it. Also, Toshiba's
>"official" docking station for the T1000SE is now available in Japan. It
>covers the entire back of the machine, so it must have pass-throughs for
>all of the connectors. The Japanese cost is a bit over $1000 US. Ouch!
>I believe that's for 3 8-bit slots. The WONUnder appears to cost around
>$300 on the street. There's on ad in the October issue of Computer Shopper
>that lists the WONUnder...Excel Micro on Page 208P.

The Toshiba docking station (called "DeskStation") should be available
sometime this month (or next month).  It has TWO 16-bit full length
slots (16 bits because the DeskStation is supposed to be usable on T1200XE).
The list price is US$1199.

Yet another company called Advent Products, Inc. is going to sell a
expansion chasis with THREE full length slots (both an 8-bit and a 16-bit
versions will be available) some time this month.  The price will be
$495 for the 8-bit and $595 (?) for the 16-bit.  Their phone number
is 714-630-0446 (in Anaheim, CA).  They claim that they have no problem
in using a PLUS hardcard in their box.

>Anyhow, I'll keep in touch with CCC to see when they have figured out the
>hard disk configuration problem. This sounds like the cheapest way for
>someone to add "just one card" to their T1000SE.

Anyway, going back to the issue of ext. hard drive (a cheaper solution
in my opinion).  This product (marketed by Systems Peripherals
Consultants) is called Quickbrick(tm) and the price is $495 for 20 meg.
and $695 for 40 meg. (The 20 meg. is out of stock last time I called).

>Phil Earnhardt          Netwise, Inc.  2477 55th St.  Boulder, CO 80301
>Phone:303-442-8280      UUCP: onecom!wldrdg!pae
>My opinions do not reflect any official position of Netwise.

Patrick Wong
pcw@squid.graphics.cornell.edu

Disclaimer:  I have no connection with all the companies mentioned in the
             posting.  I am just another guy interested in putting a T1000SE
             into good use.

pwong@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Patrick Wong) (10/03/90)

In article <3378@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:

>Is there any reason that those 16 bit slots couldn't be used on the T1000SE/XE,
>too?  It's got an 8086 (16 bit bus) rather than an 8088 (8 bit bus).  I'm
>pretty sure that the built in hard-drive controller on my XE is 16 bit because
>of the transfer rate.  (It transfers at about 475 KB/sec, which is in the AT
>speed range; typical XT speeds are 185 KB/sec.)

Sorry for the confusion !  I did not mean to imply that the DeskStation cannot
be used on 1000SE/XE.  In fact, the brochure explicitly says it is for all
three models.  Also, you are right that the bus on the machines is 16-bit.
However, if I remember correctly, the Toshiba Tech person told me on the phone
that one can only put 8-bit cards in DeskStation if the laptop to which it is
connected is a 1000SE or 1000XE.  But then again, a Tech person is not God.

pae@athena.mit.edu (Philip Earnhardt) (10/04/90)

>Yes, it is possible.  There is a product sold by Systems Peripherals
>Consultants (800-345-0824) in CA which consists of an adapter card to
>be plugged to the 100-pin connector, a ribbon cable to go from the card
>to the hard disk, and a power supply for the hard disk.
The 800 number has been disconnected; WATS information has no listing
for Systems Peripherals Consultants. Could you please provide a current
address or phone number for the company?

>If all you need is just an ext. hard drive using the 100-pin connector,
>it is cheaper to buy an ext. hard drive than to buy any expansion chasis
>plus a hard card (assuming the expansion chasis works with hard card).
>(See the price below)
$595 for the Systems Peripherals 40MB drive is cheaper than the $300 plus
$450 for the Connect Computer and a 40MB hard card. There may be some
other factors. Plus is a successful company; their hard card products
have high reliability. Service and exchange should be widely available.
Both the slot and the hard card can be recycled.

I like to support small, innovative companies, but there may be risk.
Systems Peripherals Consultants' dropping of their WATS number is not
a good omen.

--phil
(onecom!wldrdg!pae)    I speak for myself.