[comp.sys.laptops] info request: Panasonic CF 150B

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (10/07/90)

Just saw an ad for a low-end laptop I've never heard of before:

	Panasonic CF 150B, V-20 XT @ 8 MHz, 640k RAM,
	backlit LCD, MS-DOS 3.3, 1 x 720k floppy, $599.

Sounds like a good deal compared with the Toshiba T1000... does anybody
have more technical data and/or experience with this machine?  Please
mail responses to me, I will post a summary to the net.

Thanks,
--
Nicol N. Schraudolph, C-014                      "Big Science, hallelujah.
University of California, San Diego               Big Science, yodellayheehoo."

zlraa@iceman.jcu.oz (Ross Alford) (10/07/90)

In article <schraudo.655257418@beowulf>, schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) writes:
> Just saw an ad for a low-end laptop I've never heard of before:
>
> 	Panasonic CF 150B, V-20 XT @ 8 MHz, 640k RAM,
> 	backlit LCD, MS-DOS 3.3, 1 x 720k floppy, $599.
>
> Sounds like a good deal compared with the Toshiba T1000... does anybody
> have more technical data and/or experience with this machine?  Please
> mail responses to me, I will post a summary to the net.

I've seen one.  They look quite reasonable, for a minimal basic laptop--
about the size and weight of a T1000, but a bit faster and with a considerably
nicer screen.  Only problem is that in OZ, we can get T1000s for $A816 on
government contract, while the Panasonic is apparently seriously being offered
for sale at some price like $A1895!

Ross Alford
zlraa@marlin.jcu.edu.au

dhirsch@bbn.com (Doug Hirsch) (10/08/90)

In article <schraudo.655257418@beowulf> schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) writes:
>Just saw an ad for a low-end laptop I've never heard of before:
>
>	Panasonic CF 150B, V-20 XT @ 8 MHz, 640k RAM,
>	backlit LCD, MS-DOS 3.3, 1 x 720k floppy, $599.
>
>Sounds like a good deal compared with the Toshiba T1000... does anybody
>have more technical data and/or experience with this machine?  Please
>mail responses to me, I will post a summary to the net.

I'm going ahead and posting since I've never seen anyone answer the
multiple requests for info on this machine.  I bought one several
months ago and I'm pleased.  When I shopped, the new T1000s supposedly
had screens twice the resolution, but the greenish color of the
Panasonic screen just seemed easier for me to read; this is totally
subjective, of course.

I bought the 1M add-in memory ($400) and the 2.4k modem ($190).
Although they don't advertise it (for reasons I don't understand), the
add-in memory is battery backed, leaving you with a very convenient
continuous ram-disk.  I was pleasantly surprized.

The only disappointment is that the battery doesn't last more than an
hour unless you turn off the backlight, which inconveniently involves
rebooting.  Even so, I don't think I get the three hours they claim,
but I haven't taken it to the limit because I don't want to lose my
ram-disk.  I'll be interested to see if I get similar performance when
I get my spare battery pack ($80?).  It's possible my modem is eating
all that extra power; there's no obvious convenient way to cut off its
power.  Other than that, it's a nice, light-weight, convenient little
low-end laptop, and a fine alternative to the T1000.

Doug