[comp.sys.laptops] Looking for a Dynabook

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (10/05/90)

Is there someone out there that is actually manufacturing a "Dynabook." Are
there any computers out there that follow Alan Kay's concept?  I've heard of
one from Japan, but I don't have any details.  Any information on this would be
greatly appreciated.

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson   Data: (604) 687-6736

schatz@cs.arizona.edu (Bruce Schatz) (10/09/90)

The T1000SE is sold in Japan by Toshiba as the "Dynabook", with sleek and
sexy ads.  Their executives claim they will make a genuine dynabook,
"like a notebook only smarter" someday soon.

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton) (10/09/90)

Curt Sampson writes:
}Is there someone out there that is actually manufacturing a "Dynabook." Are
}there any computers out there that follow Alan Kay's concept?  I've heard of
}one from Japan, but I don't have any details. Any information on this would be
}greatly appreciated.

DynaBook has gone Belly up.  UNISYS has bought them, or is buying them.

 They may produce the DynaBook Laptops.. No Promises...

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal about 4 wks ago about this.

}Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
}{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson   Data: (604) 687-6736
}Curt_Sampson@p0.f740.n153.z1.fidonet.org           Voice: (604) 687-3227

               [ I've seen them, And I like Them! ]

--
Ed Felton                  | When you wish to produce a result by means of an
uunet!sci34hub!eng3!felton | instrument, do not allow yourself to complicate it
                           |                          -- Leonardo da Vinci
        Disclaimer: Even if I had opinions, who would want them???

brandonl@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Brandon Lovested) (10/09/90)

In article <3435@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>Is there someone out there that is actually manufacturing a "Dynabook." Are
>there any computers out there that follow Alan Kay's concept?  I've heard of
>one from Japan, but I don't have any details.  Any information on this would be
>greatly appreciated.

GRID Systems has one of sorts (they were before the Japs).
It accepts printing by hand.  There are more and more of these
"notebook" thingies every day.  Check out various magazines like
_Laptop_Computing_.

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE