[comp.sys.laptops] Panasonic CF 150B = Tandy 1100FD?

dstewart@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Daniel Stewart [Dept. Psychology, SWGC, Corner Brook, NF, CAN]) (10/11/90)

This sound suspiciously like the Tandy1100FD which I have heard is
"really" a Panasonic.  The Tandy screen, however, is not backlit so
battery life is longer (about 4 hours) and there are also some other power
saving devices that can be turned on or off.  As well, if you like it
(I don't), the Tandy Desk Mate interface is available in ROM.

Have you seen Panasonic brand RAM upgrades and modems for sale
anywhere?

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (10/13/90)

dstewart@kean.ucs.mun.ca (Daniel Stewart [Dept. Psychology, SWGC, Corner Brook, NF, CAN]) writes:

>This sound suspiciously like the Tandy1100FD which I have heard is
>"really" a Panasonic.  The Tandy screen, however, is not backlit so
>battery life is longer (about 4 hours) and there are also some other power
>saving devices that can be turned on or off.  As well, if you like it
>(I don't), the Tandy Desk Mate interface is available in ROM.

OK, time to summarize the responses I got... which isn't hard since there
were only two.  I bought a CF 150B now, and as far as I can tell the only
differences to the Tandy 1100FD are a) the backlight, and b) no Desk Mate.
The backlight can be switched on and off on the fly from the keyboard, so
it's up to you whether you want to wear out your batteries or your eyes.

>Have you seen Panasonic brand RAM upgrades and modems for sale
>anywhere?

Our local "Softwarehouse" (is that a chain?) has the CF 150B for $600, the
2400bps modem for $140, and the 1MB ramdisk (battery-backed) for $350.  The
laptop was on sale (came with a nice bag, too!), but I don't know about the
accessories.  I'll find out though - if they're on sale I might go get them.

What's the normal retail price on these items?

--
Nicol N. Schraudolph, C-014                      "Big Science, hallelujah.
University of California, San Diego               Big Science, yodellayheehoo."