[comp.sys.laptops] Plasma and Samsung

yodaiken@chelm.cs.umass.edu (victor yodaiken) (10/14/90)

Any experience out there with the Samsung 286 laptop?
Any comments on gas plasma vs. lcds?

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (10/16/90)

In article <21234@dime.cs.umass.edu> yodaiken@chelm.cs.umass.edu (victor yodaiken) writes:
>Any experience out there with the Samsung 286 laptop?
>Any comments on gas plasma vs. lcds?

I've had a Samsung S5200 since mid June.  (I paid around $1500 for it at a
store in Orange County, Cal.)

I've had two problems with it.  I installed an intel 2400 baud internal modem
card, and it would only work if the modem was COM1, not if it was COM2.
The modem is now in another computer, and seems to work fine there.  (As COM3)

There were some comments on the net back in July or so that said the S5200
had some compatibility problems with the BIOS.  Everything I've tried in it
has worked OK except for the modem card.

More recently, the display has not been working all the time, sometimes it
works then displays a few characters of garbage and locks up, other times it
just doesn't come on.  A few times, the display has looked like it had a
horizontal hold problem, all smeary.  I'm probably going to have to send it in
for servicing, but it's still under warranty.

I tend to prefer gas plasma over lcd, because the response time is faster, and
I prefer the orange to a green or blueish screen.  The S5200 doesn't have a
battery, and I don't really need one, I just need the portability.
Mike Nolan                                 "Software means never having
Tailored Software Services, Inc.            to say you're finished."
Lincoln, Nebraska (402) 423-1490            --J. D. Hildebrand in UNIX REVIEW
UUCP: tssi!nolan (uucp links changing upstream, expect problems)
INTERNET:  nolan@pythia.unl.edu (if you can't get the other address to work)