[comp.sys.laptops] Help: my Model 100 is locked up!

ahm@rick.att.com (Andy Meyer) (10/17/90)

Help!

My Model 100 is locked up. It's a straight 32k with no extra ROMs.

The screen is black except for some graphics trash in the lower
left-hand corner of the screen. (The trash occupies about a 1"
square).

WHAT HAPPENED:

The machine had been sitting for a while. When I powered it up, I saw
most of the menu. I tried to move the cursor bar with an arrow key,
and the bar smeared (it moved, but didn't erase the old one).

I wasn't running anything when I set the machine aside originally,
and the batteries are good. (No "low battery" light).

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

 - power off, then power on.

 - power off, hold CTRL-BREAK, then power on.

 - power on, then CTRL-BREAK-RESET

 - removing the batteries, and powering off the memory backup overnight.

None of these have worked. The only thing I've noticed is that the
pattern of trash changes somewhat.

Is it time to throw the machine away?! :-(

Andy

     ==--
   -====---    Andreas Meyer, N2FYE      AT&T National Systems Support Center
   --==----    uucp: ..!att!rick!ahm               Internet: ahm@rick.att.com
     ----

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (10/19/90)

In article <345@rick.att.com> ahm@rick.att.com (Andy Meyer) writes:

>Help!
>
>My Model 100 is locked up. It's a straight 32k with no extra ROMs.
>
>The screen is black except for some graphics trash in the lower ..

My Model 200 has a (hard) reset botton at the back.  I think the Model
100 should also have one.  Have you tried that?   The reset is
described in the "Reference" in the Owner's Manual.  Good luck!

ahm@rick.att.com (Andy Meyer) (10/21/90)

In article <34000@nigel.ee.udel.edu> ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) writes:
> My Model 200 has a (hard) reset botton at the back.  I think the Model
> 100 should also have one.  Have you tried that?   The reset is
> described in the "Reference" in the Owner's Manual.  Good luck!

Charlie,

Yes, the Model 100 has a RESET. If you'll notice the third item below,
you may infer that (a) I know where it is, and (b) I've also tried it
by itself.

> WHAT I'VE TRIED:
>
>  - power off, then power on.
>
>  - power off, hold CTRL-BREAK, then power on.
>
>  - power on, then CTRL-BREAK-RESET
>
>  - removing the batteries, and powering off the memory backup overnight.

"Two down, eight to go. Arlene?" :-)

     ==--