[comp.sys.laptops] utilities wanted

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (10/20/90)

> oury@techbook.com writes:
>
>          2) A ram resident popup notepad, maybe with hypertext
>           abilities.

IMHO, the most useful program you could ever buy for a laptop is MemoryMate,
from Broderbund Software.

This handy utility can be run standalone or memory-resident.  It will use up
about 80K of memory resident, or 30K and 64K of EMS.

It's basically a notepad that has up to 32,000 and a few "pages" that are 80
cols by 120 lines long.  It indexes every word in the entries.  If you search
for "John Smith" it will tell you his address, that you have an appointment
with him on Friday (which it would have automatically brought up when you
invoked the program on that day) and that he owes you $50.  You can use the
traditional 'and' and 'or' in the search, and you can narrow a search with
further qualifications once you've come up with an initial result.

I toss all sorts of information into it and it all comes out again.  I find it
truly amazing.

One of my friends described it as "like having post-it notes all over the
inside of your monitor."

I cannot recommend this program enough.  If you want more information on it
feel free to email me; I'll send off an extensive review of it that I wrote
recently.

I paid about $65 Cdn. for it.  It  would be cheaper in the U.S., of course.

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson   Data: (604) 687-6736

oury@techbook.com (David Oury) (10/21/90)

    Greetings,
      This is a request for two utilities ...
         1) A program which could be run on a laptop (t1200xe)
          which would stress the machine (devices, cpu, etc) in
          order find its faults ASAP.
         2) A ram resident popup notepad, maybe with hypertext
          abilities.
      I'd like to know about PD/SW/inexpensive stuff.
      Thanks in advance.   david oury

--
oury@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!oury
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (10/22/90)

> >> oury@techbook.com writes:
> >>
> >>          2) A ram resident popup notepad, maybe with hypertext
> >>           abilities.
>
> > IMHO, the most useful program you could ever buy for a laptop is
> MemoryMate,
> > from Broderbund Software.
>
> There is a similar program called Info Select which is available from
> a company called Micro Logic.

I should mention that the September 1990 issue of *BYTE* magazine contains a
brief overview of a bunch of PIM-type programs, and it includes overviews of
both MemoryMate and InfoSelect.

cjs
--

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/22/90)

>> oury@techbook.com writes:
>>
>>          2) A ram resident popup notepad, maybe with hypertext
>>           abilities.

> IMHO, the most useful program you could ever buy for a laptop is MemoryMate,
> from Broderbund Software.

> This handy utility can be run standalone or memory-resident.  It will use up
> about 80K of memory resident, or 30K and 64K of EMS.

> It's basically a notepad that has up to 32,000 and a few "pages" that are 80
> cols by 120 lines long.  It indexes every word in the entries.  If you search
> for "John Smith" it will tell you his address, that you have an appointment
> with him on Friday (which it would have automatically brought up when you
> invoked the program on that day) and that he owes you $50.  You can use the
> traditional 'and' and 'or' in the search, and you can narrow a search with
> further qualifications once you've come up with an initial result.

There is a similar program called Info Select which is available from
a company called Micro Logic.  From what I've read above, Info Select
is comparable to MemoryMate; it has all the features listed above.  I
run it stand-alone under DESQview on my T1000XE, though it also runs
memory-resident as well.

It offers hypertext-like abilities (you can place a link in one note
which leads to another), and it has a date-lookup feature which is
good enough to use the package as a replacement for your appointment
book.  It can sum columns, handle character-line graphics in notes,
and lets you define templates for fill-in-the-blank forms.  Its search
function is very fast; it searches as you type, narrowing out notes
that don't match in real-time.

You may want to compare both these programs closely before you buy one
or the other.

> One of my friends described it as "like having post-it notes all over the
> inside of your monitor."

This is exactly how I describe Info Select, too!

					--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    Integration, not segregation or assimilation.