[comp.sys.laptops] Poquet PC - and Solar Power

ih@udel.edu (Charlie Ih) (10/24/90)

In article <1642@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Holtz) writes:

>I know this doesn't have an internal disk; what does it have in place
>of a disk drive?  How cheap can one get an external 3.5" floppy drive
>for it?  Does it hook up to an external modem in any way?
>--

It has two "drawers" for two battery backed RAM disc Memory Cards.
512 k and 1 M cards are now available.  This Card has been accepted
as a standard by many American and Japanese firms.  Indepedent vendors
(I know at least one, hopeful more) may sell these cards. Many ROM
softwares are also available.  Flash ROM cards (up to 2 M ?)
are being developed (?).  The 3.5" disc drive is $279(?) (with
possible discounts).  The disc drive has a 9-pin serial port to
which you connect your modem.  The modem can also be connected to
the cable came with the computer through a "null" adapter (the cable
is a null cable by itself).  You can also order the optional serial and
parallel cable.  The keyboard has been recently improved.
It is now quite good.  I also learned it is about 25% faster (I wish
I know whatever that means) than the older model.

The Poquet uses so little power.  I am in the process building a solar power
supply/charge which can supply all the current it needs under the full
sun and which can keep the memory indefinitely under room lighting
conditions.