[comp.sys.laptops] Panasonic KX-WL50?

dba+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Anderson) (10/23/90)

An ad I saw for this beast makes it sound potentially interesting, but
didn't say much. Does anyone know more? The ad tells me that this is a
laptop word processor, 80x14 display, 3.5 inch floppy, fold-down
display, 50K ram, spreadsheet, spelling checker, other goodies. At the
right price and with decent software this could be an improvement over
theTandy WP-2, or it could just be stupid. Anyone know?

_________________

David Anderson <dba+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Information Technology Center
Carnegie Mellon University
+1 412-268-5791 // 412-268-6787 (fax)

dba+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Anderson) (10/25/90)

This laptop word processor turns out to be a loser. Nearly 6 lbs,
discounted price around $450-500. At that weight, and for a little more
money, one can have an MS-DOS laptop computer -- so I conclude this
Panasonic is a total loss.

--david

ljg@ecosoft.uucp (Lowell J. Gray) (10/25/90)

In article <kb8qIya00VsJMFIFVE@andrew.cmu.edu> dba+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Anderson) writes:

>.... Does anyone know more? The ad tells me that this is a
>laptop word processor, 80x14 display, 3.5 inch floppy, fold-down
>display, 50K ram, spreadsheet, spelling checker, other goodies. At the
>right price and with decent software this could be an improvement over
>theTandy WP-2, or it could just be stupid. Anyone know?

If it's the model I think it is, I just saw it at Lechmere's. I was standing
around waiting for their pitiful excuse for service and wandered by the
word processor display.

Compared to the Tandy, it's big, ugly and definitely not a "laptop" unit.
The only advantage I saw was that it has a backlit display (but that eats
power) and it has a spreadsheet application. Plus, it costs more money.

If I'm mistaken and Panasonic has another unit I didn't see, could you post
a brief spec (ie. weight, dimensions, battery type + life)?

- Lowell
--
Lowell J. Gray				UUCP: {cfi.com,uunet}!ecosoft!ljg
EcoSoft, Inc.				tel: +1 508 651 8722