[comp.sys.laptops] Psion MC200/MC400

holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Holtz) (10/24/90)

Does anyone have one of these?  What's this "Quad modem" it's supposed
to be able to have?  Is this modem internal?  Does the Psion run DOS?
--
Brian Holtz (holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM)

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (10/25/90)

In article <1641@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Holtz) writes:

>Does anyone have one of these?

I do (MC400). I posted a summary to this group some time ago.

>What's this "Quad modem" it's supposed
>to be able to have?

Handles baud rates up to 1200 and the lower speed rates in between.

>Is this modem internal?

yes and should be available about now.

>Does the Psion run DOS?

The MC600 does but for the price of it and the solid state storage media it
needs, Toshibas are probably a better deal.

>--
>Brian Holtz (holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM)

Perry Morrison

spr003@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (10/26/90)

In article <1641@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Holtz) writes:
> Does anyone have one of these?  What's this "Quad modem" it's supposed
> to be able to have?  Is this modem internal?  Does the Psion run DOS?
> --
> Brian Holtz (holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM)

There are three versions of the Psion Mobile Computer. The MC200 and MC400
use a proprietary GUI and differ only in that the 200 has a smaller, poorer
LCD screen. The MC600 is DOS compatible. All three machines use Flash EPROMs
or RAM packs instead of disks.

An early review of the MC400 appeared in Personal Computer World earlier
this year. I have an MC600, which is absolutely outstanding. It has a very
good screen, holds DOS in ROM, has a 1Mb ramdisk, takes up to 4 solid state
disks (I have 4 512k EPROMs fitted) and runs on 8 AA batteries for up to 20
hours. I run Procomm (via an external modem), PC-Outline, Supercalc 3, Desqview
Datebook and Wordperfect 5.1. WP is the only program which presents problems (if
the Psion switches into `standby' mode while in WP, the keyboard is scrambled)
and I plan to replace this with Letterperfect.

I have not obtained the internal modem.

The MC600 is expensive (about 1200 pounds sterling for the computer, another
200 for each EPROM) but it is the first laptop I really use on the move
- light, batteries last forever and it does the business.

Jim Mansell